FCC TO BAR ENTITIES FROM PARTICIPATING IN THE EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION PROGRAM

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The Federal Communications Commission today proposed new rules to ensure that wireless equipment authorizations are not compromised by entities that have been found to pose national security concerns. The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking proposes a 10% threshold for any lab or TCB with direct orindirect ownership or control by any entity on the Covered List and a 5% reporting threshold. Full announcement attached.

Attachments

• DOC-402760A1.pdf
    159.1 KB · Views: 65

BinaryMode

Now the other government agency known as the FTC needs to go after the ≈75% of the crap sold on Amazon et al. But they won't. Most of the electrical stuff sold at Amazon like surge protectors, power strips, electrical cords and other electronic crap aren't even UL listed or certified making it all one big damn fire hazard. Realizing of course no company has to get UL certified, but what cheap Chinese company wants to?! A vast majority probably aren't even ISO 9000! To top that off, a lot of the IoT (Internet Of Things) crap is being sent to a cloud server in China. For example, I bought a small USB powered camera (should have known better) and while investigating its IP addresses that it used in my router discovered it used a server in China. Upon leaving feedback at Amazon about my discovery Amazon removed my feedback with the excuse of some policy violation. Like former Twitter and the rest out there, they ALL will censor you. They ALL control the narrative. And they ALL are making money on your behalf doing it, too. This CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio) and whatnot crap is being done not just by the massive polluting manufactures in the red and yellow kill a fellow China, but due to the complacency and negligence of the seller/marketer/e-commerce website as well. (have you bought your "climate pledge friendly" item today)?

As another example, I bought a Eufy door camera. Chances are that data (video) connection is sent to China as well. It's marketed as cloudless with no month to month data retention fees like Ring has, but those that know networking and what have you know that's not true at all. It can't be. How else can you access that camera on you phone while mobile? It HAS to go through THEIR server to make a connection to your house. It's like a reverse VPN (look up ZeroTier as an example of a reverse VPN). Even though its video data storage is in the camera its self (why not SD card I'll never know) making it free unlike Amazon's Ring, it's a half truth that it's a cloudless camera. I believe Eufy uses Amazon AWS or some other U.S. server. But that really makes no difference as they (China land) can see and record your streams if they wanted to. Same with all those IoT connected picture frames. I even caught one of their domains in a picture frame get blocked due to me using NextDNS and blocking the .CN TLD (top layer domain) A lot of these cameras and whatnot aren't even worth the price paid for them. I'm sure materials and labor only make up maybe 10% of the consumer cost. Same is probably true for a lot of the other over inflated priced electronic crap out there... Heck, I need a new desk chair (not crap), but if you weigh so much and are 6' tall - forgetaboutit! "Price will be close to a 1,000 bucks if not more. The hell? I could just buy any ol' chair and toss in a certified gas lift that'll hold 300 pounds. LOL! But I digress...

I for one am tired of seeing the market saturated with cheap Chinese crap radios. They all say they put out X amount of wattage? BS. They don't. I don't even think my el cheapo MURS radios put out the 2 watt limit for God sakes! Been awhile but I think I measured it some years ago. Then you see these radios advertised as a massive 7 watts or more. LOL! What a joke. I don't even think a handheld is suppose to put out that kind of wattage anyway. Heck, you learn about RF exposure limits and duty cycle just getting the Technician amateur license. Nah, if I want MURS or GMRS, etc I'm going Kenwood, Motorola or Icom. CCR is right! (Cheap Chinese Radio).

Circa 1950s myopic college kids (as many are actually) created the current China government. And it's been a real PITA ever since... But hey! Our government is partly to blame as well...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
China is NOT our friend. The problem is corporate America is in love with them because cheap labor, no headaches of oversight from agencies like OSHA, FTC, etc and endless profit without having to hassle with paying for health care, retirements, etc. The Chinese government also subsidizes Chinese companies like Huawei to steal IP from American and other IP owners. China is the "land of the rat" but we have been in bed with them for 20-30 years now and the rats have invaded our land.

The FCC is a day late and a dollar short. Literally, millions of interference causing and non-compliant devices have infested the USA and driving up the collective noise floor to the point where everyone will be shouting but no one will hear anything. Whether it's Bowelturd radios emitting spurs, or knock off cellphone chargers, all of it radiates crap from DC to daylight en masse.

nd5y

This new rule proposal is useless except for possibly preventing certification of future products. I doesn't revoke existing certification grants of crap products or address how to remove them from use.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
This new rule proposal is useless except for possibly preventing certification of future products. I doesn't revoke existing certification grants of crap products or address how to remove them from use.

While I agree with you, even if it did revoke existing certifications, there are thousands of these CCR radios out there and people wouldn't stop using them even if certifications were revoked. Yes, it would prevent more sales of them but not get rid of what is out there.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
While I agree with you, even if it did revoke existing certifications, there are thousands of these CCR radios out there and people wouldn't stop using them even if certifications were revoked. Yes, it would prevent more sales of them but not get rid of what is out there.
But. by the same token, the quality of most of the existing CCRs is such that they shouldn't last very long.

BinaryMode

It's the propitiatory battery that will eventually kill off the radios out there now... In my opinion anyway. Yes, third-party sellers on eBay or everyone's favorite China bazaar website could sell them though. But still, may pose a problem to those that have radios now when their battery doesn't work 100% anymore.

It's one of those things I don't like about handhelds. Even with an old Kenwood or whatever. I had several older UHF Kenwood handhelds and bought some after market "new" batteries for them on eBay and not a one would charge right in the actual Kenwood charger. I should have returned them.

Speaking of, when I charge my CCR MURS radios (I bought them for the (S & G's) I never leave the room where they are charging. EVER. If I do I unplug them. The charger is not something I trust. Especially not being UL certified.

KD2DRM

Premium Subscriber
The FCC won't do anything about the radios. They lack the ability to enforce. Multiple Amateur repeaters in the NY/NJ Metro area are subject to QRM from a known habitual criminal offender yet they will do nothing. In fact, Laura Smith, FCC Counsel said they don't even want to hear complaints about this individual. The only way he will get busted again is when he interferes with NYPD radio which is what got him jail time previously. Do what you want, the FCC does not give a rat's behind about amateur radio, even thought we are now a funding source

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Now the other government agency known as the FTC needs to go after the ≈75% of the crap sold on Amazon et al. But they won't. Most of the electrical stuff sold at Amazon like surge protectors, power strips, electrical cords and other electronic crap aren't even UL listed or certified making it all one big damn fire hazard.
Or those devices with the fake UL logo on them. I bought a set of Christmas lights from a local discount chain, and thought the UL logo looked "off" to me. Sure enough, it's fake. This is also an issue.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber

The CB 2.0 operators up on GMRS could not care less about certifications any more than they did when they bought 27 MHz "export" radios to operate out of band.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The CB 2.0 operators up on GMRS could not care less about certifications any more than they did when they bought 27 MHz "export" radios to operate out of band.
Yep. Locally, they're apparently modifying "non-95" CCRs to get people on the local GMRS repeaters.

rf_patriot200

Saw a video the other day, reviewing the "hamgeek" APX8000 ! Looks like a moto, sounds like a moto, Heavy like a moto BUT NOT a Moto .
It's definitely chinesium, open on vhf/uhf analog only and claims 12 Watts, and testing appeared it was close to that.
The Best part of the whole nightmare, was the 8800Mah battery ! Scamazon had it for $110 or so.