500 not displaying system info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I can't seem to find an answer in the 'primer' owner's manual to this, so I'm pleading my case here: My PSR500 won't display any info beyond the % rate of system reception for any of the local cells for the allegedly-soon-to-be-nationwide IWIN system (see http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3509&nopt=1 ). All I get is the percentage rate, and dashes for Sy, R, S, N and W.

Is thise something inherent in the system, or a programming error?

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Wilrobnson said:
I can't seem to find an answer in the 'primer' owner's manual to this, so I'm pleading my case here: My PSR500 won't display any info beyond the % rate of system reception for any of the local cells for the allegedly-soon-to-be-nationwide IWIN system (see http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3509&nopt=1 ). All I get is the percentage rate, and dashes for Sy, R, S, N and W.

I get the same thing on the PRO-96 and the Uniden radios as well. Most of the IWN sites in the Pacific Northwest that are up now have never shown their tower number or system ID. Site 115 in Vancouver does show all it's info, as well as a couple of others.

However, if you use some of the analysis software on these sites (PRO96COM), you can see the system ID, tower number and WACN.

I believe it is something with the system and the way some VHF systems are broadcastig the system info.

- Chris

D

DaveNF2G

Some systems apparently use a "dual word" format in their control stream that confuses digital scanners.

mikey60

Wilrobnson said:

The cause of this is the way that this information is transmitted on the control channel. With VHF systems in particular, there is no "standard" offset between the repeater output frequency and the input frequency.

Due to this lack of a standard offset, the control channel has to transmit information about both the input and output frequency for the control channel. When this happens, it makes the data too big to fit into a single data block. For this reason, the system will transmit the information in multiple data blocks (aka Multi-packets).

With the current firmware, the Pro-96/2096 and the PSR-500/600 do not know how to handle these multi-packet messages to extract this information. Hopefully somewhere down the road the PSR-500/600 will have this capability. The Pro-96/2096 will likely never have this capability due primarily to their age.

Mike

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
I would love to see that the P25 Site and Region #'s just like when you go into Analyze shown would also be shown when listening to a P25 system, so you would know which tower you are pulling from right above maybe the F1 button. This would help with Roam and Stat settings
Just like on page 75 of the manual.

P25 9600 BPS control channel qq% Nnnn W:wwwww
Sys:sss Rrr Stt
where qq=decoding quality of the
control channel data, N=NAC,
W=WACN, SYS=System

Last edited:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Skud said:
I would love to see that the P25 Site and Region #'s just like when you go into Analyze shown would also be shown when listening to a P25 system, so you would know which tower you are pulling from right above maybe the F1 button. This would help with Roam and Stat settings
Just like on page 75 of the manual.

P25 9600 BPS control channel qq% Nnnn W:wwwww
Sys:sss Rrr Stt
where qq=decoding quality of the
control channel data, N=NAC,
W=WACN, SYS=System

That is one of the wishes that is out there (well kinda) for future firmware updates (it is likely possiable) is that the bottom line of the display have several different user selections. It would be much more useful than the standard TSYS that is there (maybe they could make func f2 do the same thing f2 does now).

D

DaveNF2G

I'd like to have my PSR-500 dwell a little longer on the SysID. It seems to display that information for about half as long as the (less useful) alternate line.

DonS

DaveNF2G said:
I'd like to have my PSR-500 dwell a little longer on the SysID. It seems to display that information for about half as long as the (less useful) alternate line.
Have you tried changing the LCD Blink times in the GLOB menu?

Status
Not open for further replies.