536 Purchase Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
When contemplating the purchase of a 536 mobile / base unit, how does one know if the unit they are purchasing is a pre recall or POST recall unit?

If I buy one now I certainly do not want to get involved with sending it back....

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think, but I won't guarantee, that all of the units in the serial number range have been been recalled from retailers and replaced. I seem to remember reading that in one of the threads on the problem and recall.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think, but I won't guarantee, that all of the units in the serial number range have been been recalled from retailers and replaced. I seem to remember reading that in one of the threads on the problem and recall.
The unsold stock (new, unopened units at distributors and retail outlets) was supposed to have been returned for modification by Uniden, before either going back out, used as swap-outs, or being sold by Uniden as "like new" scanners. Serial number range affected was mentioned again here.

However, that apparently did not happen in every case. Here's one example.

I sent mine in just after the first of this month. After modification, an issue still existed when checked by QC at Uniden (before return), so it was replaced with a new unit. I have no problem with the process, and the scanner does what I purchased it for, monitoring my local systems, including one fairly weak (and distant) P25 Phase II one.

If you're concerned about getting one that falls in the serial # range, but was not modified, ask for the serial #, which will tell you if the modification should have been performed. If it was performed, there will be a "three year warranty" sticker on the scanner. The replacement unit I got was one that had been modified (may well have been dealer/distributor return), and now has a three year warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.