• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

5580e for ham use?

km4ba

After experience with XPR 4550's and XPR6580's I decided to buy an XPR5580e for 900 amateur mobile usage.

I know there is a requirement to hex edit the cps memory to use ham frequencies, we've done that on 6580's and 4580's successfully.

Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake getting the 5580e due to possibly requiring CPS 2.0 (I only have R16) and also I've read that they may not do analog nor can be hex edited to amateur frequencies.

I'll try to buy the 2.x CPS if needed, I've heard it's free now.

Has anyone blazed this trail before? I know the 55xx's are great radios, just now thinking I rushed into the 5580e for that sexy color display vs the tried and true 4580.

Any suggestions/input appreciated!
Thanks,
Alan KM4BA

km4ba

Well I may have dodged a bullet... looks like what I bought is a 5580, not the "e" version.

So hopefully it can be hex-edited.

Does R16 work? Or will I need 2.0? I saw plain 5550's in the R16 sample folder, but not 5580's.

Again, any input welcome!

km4ba

Thanks much! Breathing a sigh of relief... Now I just have to hope the radio was not programmed with CPS 2.x as I'm thinking they're not backwards compatible with R16

KD9RTX

FW 2.10 and above you're stuck with CPS 2.0. FW 2.09 and below you can use CPS 16. Only way to know for sure what it has in it is to look in the service menu or the firmware version under utilities and radio info.

km4ba

Thanks, great info! The eBay picture shows a sticker with R.02.50.05 on it.

So hopefully I'm okay.

I normally confirm what CPS in firmware any XPRs were programmed with before I buy, but had a mental lapse. :)

KD9RTX

Hopefully it hasn't been upgraded. Sticker isn't always going to match what's in it. Fingers crossed for you!

km4ba

FW 2.10 and above you're stuck with CPS 2.0. FW 2.09 and below you can use CPS 16. Only way to know for sure what it has in it is to look in the service menu or the firmware version under utilities and radio info.
Well, bummer. Radio is very nice, looks hardly used. But FW R.02.10.09 and CP version 15.05.10.

Guess I'll have to convince moto to convert my account and let me download CPS 2.0. Really hope it's hex editable for ham usage! Anyone blazed that trail??

All input welcome. I'm very familiar with R16 on 4550, 5550, 6550, and 6580. Should have researched the fw version more.