Trying to narrow down selection for dual band mobile radios

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Just want to clarify you are expecting RECEIVE ONLY for the "business bands"? To transmit there the radio will require FCC Part 90 Type Acceptance. That will further limit your range of manufacturers / models.
Yes, receive capabilities.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Try the Alinco DR 750 with RT Systems software. No DMR analog only. Separate volume and squelch adjustment with attenuation and easy programming and remote head if needed. I have 2 that are at least 5 years old with out problems
There is a DR-735T, I never saw a "DR 750". There is a Powerwerx DB750X which is at the top of my list as of now.
The Alinco DR-735T is also on my list. I have to say, the Mic gain ability surely out performs everything else I've looked at; -23 db to +23db range. Really impressive there on that adjustment.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Easy to use analong radio, go with Icom IC-2730A. Remote mount the control head on the dash and hide the radio under the seat. It will do dual band analog exceptionally well and is easy to see the display when driving. As for a digital radio that is easy to program...they don't really exist.
I'm really not interested in digital. Frankly I really don't like it. It is a huge problem with all these businesses that have switched to digital, it's the same problem that 'Pagers' were back in the 70's, basically wiping out the VHF high band. :mad: (n)
A couple of businesses that recently switch to 'digital', that's all they have are problems, especially with the quaility of audio, or lack of.

But that 2730 is also on my list in spite of the utterly ridiculous prices they want for what should be included items; the two mounting brackets. :rolleyes: (n). And I'm surely not alone with that one after reading all the reviews.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I had a 735. Receiver is crap and wasn't nearly as good as the DR-635 which it replaced. Claims to be a dual conversion design but mine overloaded like a CCR. Wasn't impressed.
Ok, you have my attention; "crap" in regards to what? Intermod, selectivity, or something else?
And where about to you live? In a medium sized city, or out in a rural or semi rural area? That's makes a world of difference. ;)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The 2730 is not great at cross banding like a V71 or Yaesu. For some reason, Icom's don't regenerate CTCSS on the transmit side, they merely pass unflitered audio from one "side" to the other. What this means is weak CTCSS deviation may cause audio holes. I bought a 2730 when they first came out back in 2015. It's a solid radio otherwise and the control head is nice and easy to manipulate mobile or base. I concur their decision not to include brackets is absurd. Even if you buy an ID-5100A, mobile bracket for radio brick is another $30. Who does that?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Ok, you have my attention; "crap" in regards to what? Intermod, selectivity, or something else?
And where about to you live? In a medium sized city, or out in a rural or semi rural area? That's makes a world of difference. ;)
Front end overload from out of band signals. I don't live in an urban jungle either, a typical suburban neighborhood. Antennas used: Diamond X30 and Diamond X300. No other radio has issues, from a 1989 Kenwood TM-731A to an Icom IC-9700, all of them don't have an issue.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
The IC-2730A cross banding isn't a issue, I have no plans to do that.
But, the other could be a problem. Any idea what frequencies are the offenders? VHF, UHF or both?

This is the Alinco or the Icom? Too many model numbers.

Last edited:

desmobob

I'm very pleased with my Alinco DR-735T. Check out the complete review in the October 2016 issue of QST.

My only issue is that I use it infrequently and can't remember enough of the operating procedures/features and have to refer to the instruction manual.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I do have that review, but I have a tendency to pass over all 'positive' reviews, AKA 5 star reviews for the simple reason; there isn't a product on this planet that there aren't any negatives. And those reviews are a perfect example since when one receives expensive products for review, one wants to continue to receive future releases. ;)

AFA the 2nd statement, join the club. At least it is not a 8-12 step (button push) process to do something that should be a single button push; 'skipping a channel' while scanning.
It's 4 steps for the Alinco.
But, it's ONE step for the Powerwerx DB-750X (and the Anytone AT-5888UV which is basically the same radio).

The Icom does have a ability of programming a one button 'skip' but only on the Mic.

K6GBW

Yeah, I hear you, I'm not super thrilled with digital either. But here in the L.A. area the days of open analog machines seem to be going away. Everything is private, digital or both. I had a 2730A and it was a good radio. Agreed, Icom is stupid for not selling it with the mounting gear. One of these days the radio manufacturers are going to realize we aren't driving 1972 LTD's anymore and make a radio designed to be mounted under the seat with a control head in the microphone. But, until then...we have to soldier on. If you primarily use one band maybe a commercial radio like a Motorola or a Kenwood would work better for you?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
The IC-2730A cross banding isn't a issue, I have no plans to do that.
But, the other could be a problem. Any idea what frequencies are the offenders? VHF, UHF or both?

This is the Alinco or the Icom? Too many model numbers.
I'm fairly pleased with my 2730A that I've had since 2018. Nice, big characters on the control head makes it easier to see. Good overall performance, except for the afore mentioned x-band issue (but I hardly ever use that feature). The programming menus, at least for me, aren't intuitive. It's also BS that Icom didn't include the mounting bracket.

Rather than send Icom any more money for their bracket, I simply used 4 hardware store "L" brackets to mount the radio box to a sheet of plywood that, in turn, is mounted under a seat. The control head is mounted below eye level over a cubby space in my 4Runner using an AMPS style cell phone clam shell bracket.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm really not interested in digital. Frankly I really don't like it. It is a huge problem with all these businesses that have switched to digital, it's the same problem that 'Pagers' were back in the 70's, basically wiping out the VHF high band. :mad: (n)
A couple of businesses that recently switch to 'digital', that's all they have are problems, especially with the quaility of audio, or lack of.

But that 2730 is also on my list in spite of the utterly ridiculous prices they want for what should be included items; the two mounting brackets. :rolleyes: (n). And I'm surely not alone with that one after reading all the reviews.
Icom dual band radios have always been ****ty. Local club had to put PAR filtering in front of them to be able to use them at their 'ops centre' at their repeater site. As for the brackets, welcome to icom. It's this reason alone, I'll never buy an Icom mobile again, because I then have to buy items thay SHOULD be included.

KF0NYL

I don't ever recall seeing that spec in any of the literature. :unsure:
Here is a link to the TYT TH-7800 manual. Look on page 50 for the specifications. The manual states that the TH-7800 is a double conversion super-heterodyne receiver.
https://rigreference.com/storage/ma...-user-manual.pdf--5a7d784f462469.05654070.pdf

And in the product sheet: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1045/product/3941/tyt_th_9800_product_sheet.pdf it states that the TH_9800 is also double conversion super-heterodyne.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I hear you, I'm not super thrilled with digital either. But here in the L.A. area the days of open analog machines seem to be going away. But, until then...we have to soldier on. If you primarily use one band maybe a commercial radio like a Motorola or a Kenwood would work better for you?
I understand the largest cities, yours, Chicago, Boston & New York City have entirely different RF problems and environments. But, paying extra for the 'keys', or whatever the license is called to activate/enable the decoding for the different types of 'digital' versions is nothing but a 'racket' for these mega semi-monopolies. :mad:
I definitely need both bands !

videobruce

Premium Subscriber

KF0NYL;​

Thanks for the link. I can see why I would miss something like that. That wasn't something I would look for. ;)
I see that appears to have a one button 'Skip' function by holding down the "SCN" button, after you selected the channel. I assume that would include when the receiver is stopped on that channel, but that is an assumption since the manual doesn't state that.

Last edited:

k6cpo

Here is a link to the TYT TH-7800 manual. Look on page 50 for the specifications. The manual states that the TH-7800 is a double conversion super-heterodyne receiver.
https://rigreference.com/storage/ma...-user-manual.pdf--5a7d784f462469.05654070.pdf

And in the product sheet: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1045/product/3941/tyt_th_9800_product_sheet.pdf it states that the TH_9800 is also double conversion super-heterodyne.
Keep in mind that both of these are Chinese knock-offs of now discontinued Yeasu models.

KF0NYL

Keep in mind that both of these are Chinese knock-offs of now discontinued Yeasu models.
I am well aware of that fact. I can say that the two TYT TH-7800 radios I have work fine for me. I am using one as my base station and the other in my Ford Escape.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
But, paying extra for the 'keys', or whatever the license is called to activate/enable the decoding for the different types of 'digital' versions is nothing but a 'racket' for these mega semi-monopolies.
I am not aware of any manufacturer of amateur radio gear who charges extra for a "key" in order to communicate using digital voice.

Icom provides D-STAR on some of their base, mobile, and handheld radios.
Kenwood provided/provides D-STAR on their flagship handheld radio.
Yaesu provides System Fusion on some of their base, mobile, and handheld radios.

In all of these cases, the digital voice capability is rolled into the price of the unit.

Last edited:

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I am not aware of any manufacturer of amateur radio gear who charges extra for a "key" in order to communicate using digital voice.
But some 'Scanner' manufactures do. Namely Uniden Bearcat. It's around $75 a pop, per type. It use to be $50. (They call them "upgrades);

Those are the two most popular models.