6m / 10m NC Simplex Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlock

Hello NC Hams!

First off, there may already be a few folks who regularly get on these bands for a simplex net or field day, and if so, PLEASE respond to this thread stating the day(s), time(s), frequencies, and mode(s) you use so we can get more operators on the air using these fantastic bands.

I recently decided to jump on these bands to see what's happening, and was surprised how much, and how little activity there can be. Yes, 2m can be the same way, but the potential for long distance contacts on 6m & 10m can be very rewarding, especially for new hams looking to break out from the limited 2m universe.

The first time I used my 6m dipole I didn't hear much (but I did hear some), however my antenna setup was less than ideal at the time. I frequently scan the 6m range with my Pro-651, but that's only FM/AM, thus my interest in what's happening on SSB. I've got the capabilities to get my 6m dipole in a better position, and will try again.

The first time I used my 10m dipole I was blown away by how much traffic there was! This past Saturday there was a contest happening in South America, and the band was really lit up by noon. I tried to get my call out there, but you know how those pile-ups can be. One station nearly 5,000 miles away heard half my call 3 times, but we failed to connect in full. By late afternoon, the contest calmed down, and the band truly went dead. I didn't give up though, and decided to hang out on 28.400 USB, throwing my call out there every once in a while. Sure enough, I got a response around 6:10PM from a local station 9-miles away, crystal clear, and wonderful. We chatted for a bit, and he said a few other guys hop on the band Saturday nights too. I didn't hear anything after that, but was truly encouraged.

THE PROPOSAL:

Set up a regular Day, Time, Frequency, & Mode for both 6m & 10m to try a NC Statewide Simplex Net and/or Field Day.

THE PURPOSE:

- Encourage radio operation & experimentation on these interesting and license-wide bands
- Encourage identification of stations within our state for radio relays in a possible emergency
- Encourage out-of-state operators to join the events for propagation observation purposes, ham radio community building, as well as emergency radio relay scenarios

Any additional suggestions as to the purpose of the events are open to discussion, and also a great name for the event/club. Maybe something like: 6N10 Day, 6N10 OPS, NC610 ????

EVENT KICK OFF:

I'm game for setting up my station for either of these bands one day this weekend. Currently, weather permitting, I'm thinking Saturday 3/18, 6m USB on frequency 50.150MHz at 10AM EST.

If anyone has any other suggestions, or preferences let's get this sorted out, if not... I'll be set up to do the above, and hope to hear all of you, and your friends, on the air at that time!

KM4LWF

Harlock

Curious to know if anyone tried dialing in to the above mentioned frequency this past Saturday. I set up my station as stated, and transmitted until about 10:30AM before moving on to other frequencies, and eventually changed bands to work 20m by noon.

If you heard anything, or if you tried to transmit, please share.

Would like to attempt this again in the future; perhaps this coming weekend.

KM4LWF

Status
Not open for further replies.