796 trunking program help

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm239

Premium Subscriber
need some help with trying to program a 796 with a p25 vhf trunking system. I have reports that the offset freq should be 0 but each time I bring it up it shows 380. I try to change it and get an error. I downloaded the arc 250 software hoping that might help, I found the trunking section and put in 0 for offset. I uploaded to scanner and found it changed it back to 380. I can hear the audio but can not trunk it or display Tg's. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I might try?
Thanks, Scott

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
First off we need to know where you are (county/state is fine) and what system you are trying to program. Without these two things, no one can accurately help you

Go up to the blue toolbar under the site title, float your mouse over DATABASES then select FREQUENCY DATABASE. Use the various maps and pulldowns to get to your area. When you get to your county, go to the very bottom, where all the trunks in your area that we have in the db are linked

Mike

spooney

Are you running firmware version 3.60 and is the system a standard P25 system? The 796 will not track a standard P25 system. It will track conventional P25 freq's and Motorola Type I,Type II-800,Type II-900,Type II-UHF,andType II-VHF. If you are not running firmware 3.60 you need to install it to get the custom re-banding tables you need to program it properly.

FlashP

Most P25 systems will work without entering the bandplan (they send it on the control channel), so start with identifying the system as Mike says.

'380' is not a frequency, but a channel count. Traditionally on Moto systems, the output channel numbers start there, at the starting frequency, and step up at xx.x kHz per channel. P25 systems are more free-form.

swm239

Premium Subscriber
Hello, thanks for the reply, I am in WI and in Dane County. The first link is for WISCOM which is a statewide P 25 phase 1 system. The 2nd is called Danecom which is also a P 25 phase 1 system. From one post it appears the 796D will not track either of these. Any other input would be very helpful. Thanks again, Scott

Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM) Trunking System, Statewide, Wisconsin - Scanner Frequencies
DaneCom Trunking System, Madison, Wisconsin - Scanner Frequencies

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If memory serves me, the 796D has trouble with VHF/UHF trunks running P25, but it would handle 800 Mhz P25 systems. But that's not the case here.

I think you're going to need to upgrade, but I would ask in our Wisconsin forum if no one else answers here...I see there are 2 threads devoted to each system there (but don't post the same question in both threads - that's a nono here) Mike

Last edited:

swm239

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Mike for the info, I will push ahead and see what happens

talkpair

I don't personally own a BC796D, but recently wrote a custom table for a different radio.

I've tried looking up information in the manual for that model, but there is next to no information about entering a P25 in this model.
Some say the radio is incapable of doing P25, others say it's do-able. It appears the radio is not capable of downloading the table directly from the control channel, so a table is required.

From my notes, you might try some of these. You should enter the complete table if possible.
If not, I might need to know which site on WISCOM you're trying to monitor to figure out which lines of the table are essential.
The polarity and upper base frequencies may or may not be required.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
       [color=red]Experimental[/color] WISCOM Band Plan for Uniden Radios
 Band    Lower          Upper             
 Plan    Base Freq      Base Freq     Offset     Pol   Spacing
  1      138.00000      174.00000          0     POS     12.50
  2      150.81500      173.99750       4096     POS      7.50
  3      154.65000      174.00000       8192     POS      7.50
  4      162.00000      174.00000      12288     POS     12.50
  5      851.00625      868.98750      28672     POS      6.25

This table is for WISCOM only. Nobody has posted a file with information about DaneCom, so I can't help with that.

For specifics on your radio model, you might look at the Phila, PA thread, and contact someone there about specific settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.