800mhz Scanner Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dic

I recently drove from Boston to Cincinnati to Richmond back to Boston.
I monitored almost all the way and began to think about antenna efficiency.

Many of the states I drove through were 800mhz trunked.
When I drive to Florida (and live in Florida) same story.

I use an Austin Spectra antenna and couldn't imagine anything better, but I've been reading the previous posts about my idea and am only getting more confused. How much BETTER would my reception be if I used an antenna designed ONLY for 800, and what would be the best antenna to try?

I would like to be as subtle as possible. Should I really just get one of those glass mount cell phone antennas? What's the story with those STI co antennas? That is the way I would like to go, but have a hard time parting with the Spectra (although I realize that I no longer have to monitor VHF Lo) How do they compare with the Austin?
I remember the little tiny 2 or 3 inch antennas for some 800 system (I forget who), would they work?
I am presuming that the roof is the best place for mounting.

I know there is a way to use both the Spectra and the 800 antenna, but cannot remember what device to use.

Thank you

Dic
N1XBA

Last edited:

dic

Okay.
I went back one year in the archives and have questions.

The references to the glass mount 800 antennas have a lot of general comments. Any specific models?

I drive a VW GTI and already have a (sort of) shark fin antenna on the rear roof that (I believe) is a radio/satellite radio/GPS antenna. Would putting the 800 antenna (whichever one I choose) cause any interference to either antenna?

I am definitely interested in those STI co antennas. Any feedback/opinions on those?

Thank you

Dic
N1XBA

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Most 800mhz antennas are not that "large". There are a few companies that make 800 antennas that look like a black duck antenna. Some are sold as covert antennas.

I think what you need to determine is if you want something mounted on the car. You could go NMO mag or NMO permanently mounted. I always went mag in case I ended up getting rid of car but running coax through doors or molding can be a pain.

As far as the shark fin. I'm assuming it's for xm or GPS? IMO as long as your 800 isn't touching it and you're not transmitting you should be ok.

I had one of those glass mounts before and it was horrible for me on 800 but there's always different factors with everyone. So like many of us always mention here; try it and see.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
On glass antennas are equally poor on all frequencies. They appear to work well because cellular sites are much closer together than most public safety system sites. On public safety frequencies they are about the same as a rubber duck antenna. Because the RF is capacitive coupled to the antenna there is no actual connection between the coax and the antenna. Take you antenna and hold it about a 1/4 inch away from the coax and see how well it works. Actually it isn't quite that bad but it will never compare to a real antenna connected to the coax. A multi-band antenna (if it is designed correctly) can be as good as a single band antenna.

BB

quarterwave

I have a Glass Mount UHF on my personal truck, I bought it new and didn't want to drill it, even though I used to teach installers and I know then importance of a good antenna / install. It works ok, but not great but the next truck is getting a BackRack and I will be putting a 1/4 on it for UHF and a VHF on it for the scanner.

In my work van, a 3/4 ton full size GM with ladder racks, I use a 1/4 wave for the company VHF, then about 4 feet behind it I have another mount for an antenna for my BC780. I have used a 1/4 VHF for scanning and it's ok....I used a 3db (curly q motorola) 800 antenna and it picked up 800 better of course, but the VHF was equal to the 1/4 17" whip. I now have a VHF Gain style on it...the older Pre-Spectrum Motorola style (might actually be a ASP painted black and labeled Moto) and it picks up UHF and VHF better than 1/4 wave did, I believe, simply based on the fact it sticks up 3 1/2 feet and is above the racks, etc. It picks up 800 real well too.

All in all - if you are going for 800 on a car, use a 800 gain or the MAXSCAN Maxrad, which our SO uses with success. I think it will do VHF well enough too. Roof is better than trunk lid.

I think you are wanting to be more covert, and I understand that. Just sharing.

dic

Thank you for your responses.
Yes, I am trying to be more covert. I am running 2 radar detectors and front and rear laser jammers, none of which can be seen from outside my car. The Spectra is now the only noticeable thing on my car.

I have a 396 for local driving and an HP for travel.

1-What I am considering for 800
The Maxrad low profile 806-960 mounted in the center of the roof of my VW GTI.
https://www.scannermaster.com/806_960_Low_Profile_Maxrad_Mobile_Antenna_p/20-541637.htm

2-For VHF and UHF somewhere on the roof as well (I'm not worried about having this one, it looks just like the old VW antenna)
Stico Antenna Products, Antenna Accessories, in Buffalo NY | Sti-Co

And what's the story on this one?
Concealed Internal Antenna SystemSti-Co | Sti-Co

Would that last one be good for receiving the NJ/DE/NC/SC trunked systems? It looks a little weird. Something bothers me about an upside down antenna inside the car.

I'd like to use as few outside antennas as possible.

If I were to run separate antennas for VHF/UHF and 800, how would I go about connecting them to one scanner?
Just connect them to a splitter or something active?

Thank you for your responses.

Dic
N1XBA

Last edited:

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Connecting multiple antennas to one is a bit tricky and not without more problems then it's worth IMO. If your 800 system isn't far out while you are driving I recommend a 1/4 unity gain VHF. I used one and had no problems with receiving on multiple bands. They even come in black and aren't very tall. They're also insanely cheap compared to some other options. Therefore if it doesnt work for you, you're out about $20.

Heres a few options:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=191_192_195_457_207

and try ebay

Another option would be an antenna switch for two antennas. Have a vhf/uhf and a 800mhz and when you need better reception on one band just flip switch.

I've never used any of the above antennas so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.