996 Auto Mute

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjaminfs733

I am wanting to know if anyone has an auto mute for a 996. I have my scanner in my car but when I talk to dispatch it would be really nice for it to mute. I know that Scanner Master developed one for the 780. I e-mailed them but have not received a reply. Also would the one they developed for the 780 work for the 996 and does any one have one they would like to sell.

Thanks for the help.

Ben

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If I remember correctly the auto-mute was driven by the com port, so it may not use the same mute command for the 996.

bctrl1

The protocol is vastly different, so I would be very surprised if the old Auto Mute device will work.

I don't believe there are any products currently available that will provide the Auto mute function to the 996t through the remote port.

One of the options, if you have some programming experience, would be to slightly modify the hardware found here ( http://www.scancapecod.us/wiki/index.php/Bearcontrol:_Uniden_Scanner_Displays ) and write some simple code to provide the function you need. Eliminate the keypad, eliminate the LCD, and add a RF detector circuit driving one of the available inputs.

Another option would be to build a Ramsey electronics RF sensing T/R switch kit, and use that to disconnect an external speaker. http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=RFS1

benjaminfs733

Thanks for the input. The first option sounds good, but I am not sure that I could do it. I spent some time looking at the link you sent and I am not even sure where to begin. And the second is about what I do now (quickly turn down the volume). However, when I go to respond quickly to dispatch it would be nice to have the auto mute. Ah well... Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions from other people?

Ben

bctrl1

benjaminfs733 said:
...And the second is about what I do now (quickly turn down the volume). However, when I go to respond quickly to dispatch it would be nice to have the auto mute. Ah well... ...

The second option I provided is completely automatic, there is no need to switch anything manaully. If connected properly it will automatically mute the speaker when you TX on the radio. It will sense the RF from your transmitter and close a relay, which can be wired to disconnect the speaker for the scanner. The kit has to be slightly modified for this to work (omit a few components), as it was designed for antenna/RF switching applications.

Yet another option would be to tap the PTT line of your radio, have that drive a transistor which would close a relay that disconnects the speaker.

I'd be interested to see what other people come up with. There aren't many options here, especially for "out of the box" solutions. I have used the two above options in the past and they work well.

n0nhp

Most two way radios now days have an accessory plug on them, I don't know what radio you are using but when I was installing radios in another life I had the same issue come up.

By using a relay on the accessory plug wired to the "PTT" output I just killed the power to the scanner when the mic was keyed. The reasoning behind killing the power instead of just muting the audio line was to avoid jamming all the rf through live circuits on the scanner.
The front ends of the modern scanners may be a bit more bullet proof than the older scanners were.

Bruce

benjaminfs733

Thanks for all the information. bctrl1 I apologize I did not fully research your other option. Sounds good now that I have looked at it. I believe that I have the concept down of what you are suggesting but are there instructions that come with the board to explain how and where to wire? Also, do I need to worry about overloading the scanner from the transmit as n0nph suggested? (I am using a 996 and a MCS2000 at 35 watts on 800) Thanks again.

Ben

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Here's an idea (partially developed). Older Motorola mobile radios (Syntor X?) had an optional mic clip (box) that would stop the radio from scanning when the mic was removed. When I used to build PD cars, we kept a box of those clips. We would use them to mute the AM/FM radio when the mic was removed from the clip.
My thought is why not rig up something that would physically cut the audio path between the scanner and external spkr? Of course, if not using an external, this would not work, but installing it would be simple on a scanner.
That's my .02, your results may vary.

benjaminfs733

That also sounds like a good idea. I used to work for an agency which used Kenwood and the radio would stop scanning when the mike was lifted, but I always assumed it had more to do with a circuit in the radios mike than the clip. I will have to think about that for a while. I am using an external speaker. Where the clips different somehow? Thanks

Ben

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Actually, other radios newer than the Syntor had the feature available via the software or like the Maratrac / Maxtrac, accomplished via grounding the mic clip.

Here's my idea - may seem more work then its worth depending on the wiring in the car:

Route the scanner's audio out wire past the mic clip and have the "high" side connect through a small switch (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049718&cp=2032058.2032230.2032278&pg=3&allCount=69&fbn=Price%2FUnder+%243.99&fbc=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00000000%2F00000399&parentPage=family) installed behind/under the clip.

When the mic is in the clip, the "tang" of the clip presses the switch closed allowing audio to pass to the speaker. When the mic is pulled out, the tang comes off the switch (opening it) and cuts the audio.

Of course, that's if you want it to mute automatically. If you don't mind doing it manually like me, you could just route the audio through a standard automotive toggle switch.

benjaminfs733

Thanks. That idea sounds good. It could take some work to get it just right. I like the idea of only disconnecting the audio rather than turning off the whole scanner. Unfortunately I really need something automatic. The fewer hands I need to operate the better.

benjaminfs733

I hate to bring up an old topic, however, it has been a year and I was wondering if anyone had any new ideas on this issue. I am looking to auto mute the speaker on my scanner when I transmit (or pick up the mic) on my radio. How do other agencies manage to use multiple radios and not have a problem with feedback, other departments being heard though your mic, etc.? I am one of few in my area that uses multiple radios, however, I know that other locations use many radios. Surly there is a commercial device which can do this, or is my best bet still to build one myself? As mentioned before I am using a BC 996 with a remote speaker and a Motorola MCS 2000. Thanks again for any thoughts. It just seems like there should be something out there that can be used for this purpose that I can't find.

Status
Not open for further replies.