BCD325P2/BCD996P2: 996P2 Digital reception issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if a garbled signal could be associated with being at the very edge of a transmitter's reach. Analog signals tend to be scratchy when getting at the end of the signal coverage. However with digital signals being there or not being there, that "edge sound" would be different.

duanewolter

Premium Subscriber
Looking at your file, I noticed that on the Rock Falls site in Dunn county, you had two of the three site frequencies locked out in one system, and in another copy of the same site, you only had the one frequency, 155.460, entered. That's an alternate control channel for that site. The Primary Control is 159.8975, which was not in one site, and locked in the other. I have all three freuencies entered for that site in both systems (Dunn & WSP).

You've duplicated the sites by creating two separate "systems" using the same site, one for the county talkgroups, the other for the WSP (state police). You would see more efficient, and faster, scanning if you did not separate everything like that. Just have one WISCOM system, then with the county talkgroups & WSP TGIDs in separate groups. Splitting the conventional frequencies for each county into separate systems does not really impact scanning speed enough to be noticeable.

Also, for the 996P2, instead of using the Mot Type II/P25 system type, use the P25 Standard (Digital XT) type instead. I also renamed the sites to match what the database calls them instead of 'Dunn 1, Dunn 2' etc. The modified file is attached. I did not combine the trunked systems into one large one, With as little as you are dealing with, while it does more time to scam than if they were combined, you might not notice much difference. You would be better off replacing the RG58 coax with something better. Quad shielded RG-6 would be a god compromise choice. Since just about all of your frequencies, for the counties as well as the WISCOM sites are Vhf-high, you don't have the much higher signal loss for your run length that are much higher for 700/800MHz frequencies & sites.
Thank you very much! I'll give these a shot to see if there's much of a difference. I believe the ones that I locked out were simply because I was getting a stronger signal from the one that wasn't locked out. I'll chat with our engineering crew to see if they have a climber scheduled in the near future for the cable change out, or at the very least ask them if they had changed it out when it was installed because they knew it would be a long run.

duanewolter

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if a garbled signal could be associated with being at the very edge of a transmitter's reach. Analog signals tend to be scratchy when getting at the end of the signal coverage. However with digital signals being there or not being there, that "edge sound" would be different.
It's certainly possible, but the transmitter sites aren't all that far away from here (at least some of them). There was even a few occasions where some signals would be coming in much louder than others. Updating and adjusting some things seemed to help with that, but I'll load in the file that someone edited to see how much of a difference that makes as well. I certainly wish I was smarter with this stuff, but I'm learning as I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.