BCD325P2/BCD996P2: 996P2 not receiving Phase 2????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Premium Subscriber
I have recently programmed three Uniden 996P2 scanners, all using the Butel software, and they appear to not receive Phase 2 on the State’s system.

The radios all pick up conventional with no problem. They are receiving Phase 1 without any issues.

The frequencies and talkgroups are all confirmed, and working in Harris and Kenwood radios, as well as in Unication G5 pagers. These radio and pagers have been tested side by side with the Uniden 996P2 units, so there is no “out of range” issue

The scanners are looking for just two talk groups and they are set up to only look for those two T/Gs, nothing else. These are not encrypted talk groups. I did add in a few others to test out, still nothing while picking up Phase 1 consistently.

I have two other 996P2 scanners I programmed, the same Butel software I have been using since the 396/996 XT radios were in use, without any issue … is there some setting I have somehow overlooked while putting these three in service in my department's stations?

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the squelch is set correctly. Usually around 2 or so. If it happens to be that you are trying to monitor a simulcast system, then you're probably going to have some frustration ahead.

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the squelch is set correctly. Usually around 2 or so. If it happens to be that you are trying to monitor a simulcast system, then you're probably going to have some frustration ahead.
It is a simulcast, but the other two I programmed have no issues at all. The Phase 1 is also a simulcast, never had any issues. I'll check squelch.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Usually I'd suspect simulcast distortion with CLMRN but given the fact you have two other working P2's I'd assume you're among the lucky few only within range of one simulcasting cell.
I have recently programmed three Uniden 996P2 scanners, all using the Butel software, and they appear to not receive Phase 2 on the State’s system.

I have two other 996P2 scanners I programmed, the same Butel software I have been using since the 396/996 XT radios were in use, without any issue
So you have a total of five units? Three not working and two working?

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber
Usually I'd suspect simulcast distortion with CLMRN but given the fact you have two other working P2's I'd assume you're among the lucky few only within range of one simulcasting cell.

So you have a total of five units? Three not working and two working?

I have a total of five, two are about 2 years old, no issues at all. The other three were purchased two weeks ago, those are the ones having an issue. They are all on the same firmware, so that should not be an issue. One location is in visual line of sight of a CLMRN site, so that shouldn't be an issue.

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber
Stupid question. Are the working and non-working radios at the same location?
No, same town, different locations. One location is in visual line of site to a CLMRN site. Two of them are mobile and work at the locations of the other radios.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I did add in a few others to test out, still nothing while picking up Phase 1 consistently.
If you are trying to receive the CLMRN system, there are no Phase 1 talkgroups except for Stamford. On what system are you receiving Phase 1 talkgroups OK? I suspect that you may be experiencing simulcast distortion on the CLMRN system. Simulcast distortion is very location specific. Just because a scanner may work at one location does not mean it will work at another location. I use ARC-XT also. If you attach your ARC-XT RSF programming file, I will be happy to take a look at it to check for programming errors. You will need to zip the file to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Regarding location, are they working when they are next to the older ones that are working? I use to mark a spot on my desk with tape that was a sweet spot for a handheld. Anything other than that spot, and it probably didn't work.

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber
I agree!!!! I bet that a SDS100 or SDS200 will work at the locations where the BCD996P2 does not. Have someone try that.

The two mobile 996P2 scanners work perfectly at the location in question here. This is not even a question of simulcast distortion, which I have at times experienced, it is a matter of it picks up nothing at all.

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber
I use ARC-XT also. If you attach your ARC-XT RSF programming file, I will be happy to take a look at it to check for programming errors. You will need to zip the file to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

I'll upload the file when I grab the Toughbook

tvengr

Well Known Member
The two mobile 996P2 scanners work perfectly at the location in question here. This is not even a question of simulcast distortion, which I have at times experienced, it is a matter of it picks up nothing at all.
What antenna is being used on the scanners which do not work?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Unsure of the model, but it is a wide band on the roof of the fire station.
That is a typical symptom of simulcast distortion. When dealing with simulcast, less signal is better. Try the telescoping antenna on the rear of the scanner. Also, try turning on the attenuator. The object is to reduce the number of subsites received which can improve control channel decoding. The mobiles are not getting as much signal as the scanners with base antennas. If you would take one of the scanners that are not working and hook it to the mobile antenna without moving the vehicle, it will probably work. Just moving a short distance can make a big difference with simulcast distortion. The scanners not working are probably showing NFM instead of the control channel frequency. That means they are unable to decode and detect the control channel.

Last edited:

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber
That is a typical symptom of simulcast distortion. When dealing with simulcast, less signal is better. Try the telescoping antenna on the rear of the scanner. Also, try turning on the attenuator. The object is to reduce the number of subsites received which can improve control channel decoding. The mobiles are not getting as much signal as the scanners with base antennas. If you would take one of the scanners that are not working and hook it to the mobile antenna without moving the vehicle, it will probably work. Just moving a short distance can make a big difference with simulcast distortion. The scanners not working are probably showing NFM instead of the control channel frequency. That means they are unable to decode and detect the control channel.

Thanks, I was considering swapping on a TRAM 800 NMO and seeing if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.