996P2 Threshold setting retention

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeDawg

Found this about the 995XT P25 threshold setting on another site. Can someone with a 996P2 see if it also changes the default threshold setting as described? Would be nice not to have to reset it every time the radio is turned on.

"P-25 adjustment level settings If you press and hold the "hold" button and turn on the scanner the screen will flash colors and allow you to get into the P25 settings. Then press menu and go to settings and then go to P25 adjust level. You will notice it is set to 50 for the default auto setting. If you change it to 200 (press 200 enter) now the default level will always be 8 and if you change it to 100 the default will be set to 11."

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe that is something copied and pasted from earlier scanner models, (BCD 396T perhaps).

I've found that doing this with the 396XT and 996XT it is a little different. (These models are more similar in firmware, except for Phase 2, to the 996P2.) What I found with the 396XT and 996XT is they retain the P25 Adjust Level and P25 Adjust Mode, rather than going back to something else.

DeDawg

Article was "Setting the P25 Decode Level for the BCD396XT and BCD996XT and other tips" at

UNIDEN BCD996XT: Setting the P25 Decode Level for the BCD396XT and BCD996XT and other tips

Curious as I am on the fence which P25 scanner to get since our local PD and Fire just switched over. Some are having issues with reception and setting the P2 threshold down to 8 apparently fixes much of it. I read that the 996P2 can be set for that, but reverts every time power is cycled. Huge pain if you just want to turn on the radio and catch something.

The 536HP apparently allows a fixed setting, but is more pricey and reviews of the 996P2 seem to indicate I would happy with it.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
DeDawg... FYI, I have not had any issues receiving the new Hawaii County system you are referring to on my 996P2 with the threshold set to AUTO. But I am very close to my local site, so that helps. The issues we have been referring to are related to the Radio Shack / Whistler scanners receiving the system. Those scanners have their own threshold settings and for me nothing has helped, my Pro-668 is dead silent on the system.

I think the 996P2 is a good choice. I use mine as a base, so I can't speak to how well it works while mobile. If you use it as a mobile and need to keep the P25 threshold on manual, I can see it being a pain since you would be turning it on and off all the time. I leave mine on all the time and just turn down the volume when needed.

a29zuk

The 325p2 is also like the 996p2. The P25 threshold reverts back to auto when the power is cycled. Very frustrating having to set it to manual 7 every time the scanner is powered up. I've complained about this before but there hasn't been a firmware update for it.

Jim

DeDawg

The 325p2 is also like the 996p2. The P25 threshold reverts back to auto when the power is cycled. Very frustrating having to set it to manual 7 every time the scanner is powered up. I've complained about this before but there hasn't been a firmware update for it.

What I was leery about, but at least on local user says manual setting here is not an issue (for him). Dunno, dropping ~$400 and the finding out another $100 for the BCD536 would have been money well spent........

Many here are having issues getting the new P2 system to come in, so I need all the hardware help I can get.

SOFA_KING

Why doesn't UNIDEN fix this so at least the ONE manual threshold setting you can make doesn't disappear every time you turn off the scanner? That whole "press hold while powering up the scanner" thing is stupid!

I absolutely love my P2 scanners, as they scan faster, but being limited with the manual threshold options is a drawback. My conventional VHF and UHF settings work best at 10, and my county mixed-mode TRS works best at 11, but the new LSM P25 systems just coming online now in several counties need a value of 6 to reduce LSM breakup. "Auto" on these new P25 systems doesn't work! And Uniden obviously doesn't care, as they do nothing. So I use my P2 scanners for my main conventional listening, and my x36 scanners for mostly trunked system and auxiliary use.

I don't feel too bad needing two scanners, as scanning everything on one scanner would miss a lot, but Uniden could make it better if you wanted to switch it up a bit on a single P2 scanner.

Phil

DeDawg

Why doesn't UNIDEN fix this so at least the ONE manual threshold setting you can make doesn't disappear every time you turn off the scanner?

If I read the info correctly, the X36 series does retain the setting.

From what I have seen of progrmmable logic stuff (with others doing the diddling) many things can be altered. Uniden may be able to implement that update, but it would cut into sales of the $$ new stuff for those looking for that feature.

SOFA_KING

If I read the info correctly, the X36 series does retain the setting.

From what I have seen of progrmmable logic stuff (with others doing the diddling) many things can be altered. Uniden may be able to implement that update, but it would cut into sales of the $$ new stuff for those looking for that feature.

I think I understand what you are saying, but I don't subscribe to the "cut into sales" argument. It's a useful feature, just like many other common features available on both model lines. I can thoroughly understand there not being a "per system" option on the P2 line, as the memory structure is somewhat cemented in format, but not allowing a permanent global selection in the firmware is just plain silly. Test feature or not, when you fix the threshold to an optimal MANUAL setting, you vastly improve reception. This is especially true on simulcast systems, but also greatly extends reception range on conventional P25 systems. AUTO gets confused and wildly "tunes" around all sorts of crazy values when the signal has simulcast phase issues...or when any signal has some fading. That severely breaks up reception. So if Uniden knows this, and I believe that they certainly must know this, as Dr. Evil would say "throw us a frickin bone here". :D

Phil

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The other models of Uniden scanners where P25 settings can be changed, retain the changed values. Why the 996P2 does not is a good question (I don't have this model, so I can't confirm the issue).

I would imagine that if this is the case, its either an oversight on Uniden's part that hopefully can be dealt with by a firmware update, or there is some practical reason why they chose not to (and for sales purposes isn't one of them).

Be nice if Upman offered his comments on this.

DeDawg

The other models of Uniden scanners where P25 settings can be changed, retain the changed values. Why the 996P2 does not is a good question (I don't have this model, so I can't confirm the issue).
Was close to squeezing the trigger on a 996 until I read on my local forum that the new system was tricky and a settable threshold was a good thing.

That was when I started finding out the 996 was not a set and forget thing. The X36 series apparently is, hence my comment that Uniden would rather you buy the newest stuff, even though the 996 would do me fine if the threshold could be optimized and remembered each power-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.