996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamson25

Premium Subscriber
Can frequencies be organized in a certain order in ProScan like they can be in ArcXT? So far, between the two, I like ArcXT better.

bigcam406

i have the 996p2 and really do not use it or need it anymore. i like my pro197 but it is only p1 not p1, however we have not much in the way of p2 where i am. i would be willing to sell my very unused 996p2. i may put it on the site here soon. i like the color display, but the red is too red and u cant really read the text. lighter red would be a great mod or update to this scanner.

I watched your vids, and I especially liked the one when you just received your 996p2 and were downloading your files. the 996p2 is next on my list to purchase someday.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
I'm also considering the 996P2. I've read that the speaker is on the bottom of the unit. Is that true? Does that negatively affect the sound quality? I'm thinking that if it is laying flat on my desk the sound would be totally muffled and go into the table. Can someone clarify this?

JamesO

Just put the small rubber feet that come with the scanner or buy some slightly taller stick on feet.

External speaker is usually the best option in the long run.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I'm also considering the 996P2. I've read that the speaker is on the bottom of the unit. Is that true? Does that negatively affect the sound quality? I'm thinking that if it is laying flat on my desk the sound would be totally muffled and go into the table. Can someone clarify this?

i have the 996p2 and the sound is fine. HOWEVER, i need turn it to 3/4 vol to hear it ok. i have it on my desk. NOT my favorite scanner. it does not have the ears that my pro 197 has. it has the colored display and is pretty. but, i am not impressed with it overall. that is just my opinion. the 536 has issues out of the box and then u deal with repair campaign, no thanks. if i had to get another, i would get this one. only p1 though. same as my pro 197 just branded different. i like the black better than my silver. i am thinking of getting one and selling my pro 197, lol, just for the color change.

Whistler WS1065 Digital Police Scanner | Scanner Master

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
the 536 has issues out of the box and then u deal with repair campaign, no thanks.

Not true of scanners manufactured recently. If you buy from sellers that sell scanners regularly, like Amazon, getting old stock is pretty unlikely.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Not true of scanners manufactured recently. If you buy from sellers that sell scanners regularly, like Amazon, getting old stock is pretty unlikely.

i know people who have received the 436 that had the display and clock issue FROM amazon. not true. u need check serial #s. we can call this "unlikely", but it happens. just warning folks to be careful.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And when did they purchase?

I just got a 436 from Amazon in January, and it did not have either issue. You're probably confusing buying directly from Amazon vs. buying from 3rd parties that use Amazon as their storefront. There is a huge difference.

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
I guess experiences vary. I've had nothing but great things to say about my 996P2. Has a great front end, ears for days even with a simple antenna, and very good to excellent spurious signal rejection. As far as the speaker, it has decent tonal response and I get around it's location on the bottom of the radio by using it with the mobile mounting bracket on my desk. It provides plenty of clearance for the speaker to provide clear sound without any muffling.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
And when did they purchase?

I just got a 436 from Amazon in January, and it did not have either issue. You're probably confusing buying directly from Amazon vs. buying from 3rd parties that use Amazon as their storefront. There is a huge difference.
a few months ago. i think you are making the mistake of generalizing from the sample size of ONE. it does happen (maybe rarely, but does) thus one must be careful is my point.

to the other op about the 996p2. i am in an areas where i can receive or potentially received many p25 systems. 20 or more i bet. i am only pointing out that my pro 197 does better on distant systems, even after messing with thresholds and all that. for my scanners, it is a fact. the pro 197 is louder and copies better on distant systems. if i can just copying more local systems, the 996p2 does fine. i am thus not impressed with it and would buy other scanners before this one, just based on my experience. i continue to be VERY impressed with the pro 197, but it only does p1 and the display is not as pretty. no fancy colors. orange! respect your opinion, however. nothing wrong with everyone conveying what they think on here.

Last edited:

rs16

Premium Subscriber
Just put the small rubber feet that come with the scanner or buy some slightly taller stick on feet.

External speaker is usually the best option in the long run.

I'm thinking the 996P2 with the Uniden BC7 speaker next to it or on top would be good. Is that a good idea?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
i know people who have received the 436 that had the display and clock issue FROM amazon. not true. u need check serial #s. we can call this "unlikely", but it happens. just warning folks to be careful.

I have bought 2 536's and 1 436 and have not had one bit of trouble. Are you speaking from first hand experience or are you going on hearsay? My Unidens are 2 years old and 4 months old. 2 scanners built in 2014 and 1 built in 2016. You could say it is easy to hit the lottery but have you won the lottery? I also have bought 2 996P2's in the last 2 years also.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking the 996P2 with the Uniden BC7 speaker next to it or on top would be good. Is that a good idea?

your argument about the lottery is known in logic as a straw man or a red herring. i suggest you look that up as i am not here to teach logic. it was 1st hand experience, saw them come off the ups truck and helped the friends program them. cant get much more 1st hand than that. i also suggest u check the other forums. ops still receive old stock and sometimes from amazon. not that it matters, i dont play the lottery. it is a stupid tax. hahahahah

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I have bought 2 536's and 1 436 and have not had one bit of trouble. Are you speaking from first hand experience or are you going on hearsay? My Unidens are 2 years old and 4 months old. 2 scanners built in 2014 and 1 built in 2016. You could say it is easy to hit the lottery but have you won the lottery? I also have bought 2 996P2's in the last 2 years also.

so you have bought 3 scanners, did not have an issue, therefore it does not happen. lol.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
And what is your sample size?

it is not about sample size, it is about logic. i bought 3 scanners, have not had the experience - therefore it does not happen. this vs, i bought one scanner, it happened, therefore it does happen. which one is not logical? it is about logic, not sample size.

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
CLOSE the uniden repair campaign forums. no one is getting out of the box defective units anymore. lol

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
do you understand this? it is not about sample size, it is about logic. i bought 3 scacnners, have not had the experience therefore it does not happen. this vs, i bought one scanner, it happened, therefore it does happen. which one is not logical? it is about logic, not sample size.

Exactly. And saying you should never buy a Uniden scanner because there is a rapidly-shrinking pool of unrepaired new old stock in the supply chain is illogical and stupid.

Here's some actual logic for you: Active sellers such as Amazon are generally going to have new stock without the repair campaign flaws, as they sell out their supply on a regular basis, and therefore get new stock from Uniden on a regular basis. Sellers that only move a few more units per year are more likely to have old stock needing repair. It's possible Amazon may occasionally move an old unit, but your odds are much better with them than a mom & pop store.

You're also ignoring the difference between buying from Amazon itself, vs buying from a 3rd-party seller using Amazon's storefront. There is a big difference, and if your friend bought his "old" scanner from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon (who is probably one of the sellers that only moves a few units per year), then your whole argument goes out the window. Before you get all dogmatic about your argument, you might want to check that.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Exactly. And saying you should never buy a Uniden scanner because there is a rapidly-shrinking pool of unrepaired new old stock in the supply chain is illogical and stupid.

Here's some actual logic for you: Active sellers such as Amazon are generally going to have new stock without the repair campaign flaws, as they sell out their supply on a regular basis, and therefore get new stock from Uniden on a regular basis. Sellers that only move a few more units per year are more likely to have old stock needing repair. It's possible Amazon may occasionally move an old unit, but your odds are much better with them than a mom & pop store.

You're also ignoring the difference between buying from Amazon itself, vs buying from a 3rd-party seller using Amazon's storefront. There is a big difference, and if your friend bought his "old" scanner from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon (who is probably one of the sellers that only moves a few units per year), then your whole argument goes out the window. Before you get all dogmatic about your argument, you might want to check that.
show me where i said you should never buy a uniden scanner? i still buy uniden scanners. also, and this is most comical, you classify an argument i never made as 'stupid.' take a logic class and tell the professor an argument is stupid and he/she will fail you. lol. 'stupid' is not a term used in logic. check for valid and invalid to start. i am not spending more time on this. you want me, i will be using my uniden scanners. lol. i was just saying one needs be careful, because it DOES happen. that's all. it does happen, guy right up the road that i have been helping with scanning. he sent his back to be fixed by uniden. clock issue. they did the back light for him when he sent it for that. 436. may be more or less likely one way or the other, true, but does still happen. ok, time to move on...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
So you will never buy a Chevy Ford or Dodge car as they all have recalls? I do not see you posting about the faulty ham radio equipment others are buying. So all of your experience is hearsay as you do not know fist hand how the scanners were treated 24/7 by the owners. I am most likely your senior as I have owned and operated scanners for over 45 years starting when I was 14. I also have a electronics degree have a ham license and passed the FCC 2nd class General Radio Telephone License. Apple and Samsung both have had recalls and phone problems are you going to stop buying them also. I had rather buy a scanner that works like I want it and the company fixes it if there is a problem with it than buy a scanner that does not fill a purpose. Like I said you do not own the scanner in question so you are hearsay because you can not account for the 24/7 treatment of said x scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.