A general QRA/QTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

otterbox

Hi guys, Whiskey Romeo Bravo Lima 660 here, hailing from FLA, USA. Yes, that's a GMRS license. I'm typing it out like that on this forum because I would like to avoid this topic from showing up in a Google search of my CS. I do not currently hold the HA license but am in the process of studying for the exam. I've been around radios a lot growing up but just never did follow through with holding anything other than RR, SB (well, the boat anyway), or ZA licensing since its not really needed in my application. At least, hasn't been needed yet!

I work on a boat and am trying to work on upgrading the GMRS radio system on board. I've been seriously looking into installing a repeater system (most likely using a twin KG-UV920P setup) for the crew radios because sometimes someone up on the bow can't even hear someone off the stern, much less in the machinery room. So that's the plan, but we haven't done much with it yet. What I would like is some ideas for the setup, if anyone has any thoughts. Swapping out all the GMRS radios is not out of the question either.

For now we are running on the ship's SB FCC license for the main marine VHF bands, and using the GMRS radios for internal comms, but like I said, I am working on getting my GMDSS license and studying for the HA technician test so I can transmit on HAM frequencies using the Wouxun KG-920P base that is already installed on the boat. My goal is once I get that HA license I'll try to snag a good QRZ with some of your fine setups while we're underway, so if any of you are interested in coordinating a QSL later on down the road while we are cruising through the Caribbean let me know.

Just thought I'd introduce myself and see what the rest of you veterans think of my future ideas.

On a final thought, I feel as though closing out as "73" in a forum post is just a little too cliche for me.
What ever happened to the warm-and-cozy 88 closings?

88, -660

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
All I can say is I'm confused when QRZ and QSL are used in the context of the above posting. And 88 has some HH, Hitler connotations to some of us.

otterbox

All I can say is I'm confused when QRZ and QSL are used in the context of the above posting. And 88 has some HH, Hitler connotations to some of us.

Can’t really say it’s the best usage of ether of those Qs, sure, but I wouldn’t exactly say it’s confusing either.

Status
Not open for further replies.