Active A new active loop from Tecsun

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Interestingly this one is at least trying to make it usable by more portables by including more adapters. It also says it will work with radios without external antenna jacks, but doesn't say much about how....it doesn't cover the 90 or 120 mb, which may be an issue for some.

Mike

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I wonder if the TRS plug is compatible with my Sangean made radio's external jack? Secondary, I wonder how well the loop would work, directly plugged into a radio? (Basically, the natural bandpass of the loop, if not "blocked" by active electronics.)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't understand your second question. If you were to look at the venerable Sony AN-LP1 (which I am told you can still find on fleABay) that loop antenna plugged directly into some Sony radios directly, and worked well for what it was. How well this Tecson model will work we'll have to wait and see...Mike

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand your second question. If you were to look at the venerable Sony AN-LP1 (which I am told you can still find on fleABay) that loop antenna plugged directly into some Sony radios directly, and worked well for what it was. How well this Tecson model will work we'll have to wait and see...Mike

Basically, is the loop just a loop and a selector switch, or does it have an amplifier inside that housing?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Have no idea beyond what is in the article. Like I said, we have to wait and see...Mike

WA8ZTZ

Seems like the only way it could work with radios lacking an external antenna jack is by some means of
inductive coupling... stay tuned.

WA8ZTZ

My experience with all-band portables is that they usually have adequate sensitivity on the SW bands and any attempt to increase the signal there with an active preselector may result in overload if the gain is cranked too high. However, these portables could use some help on the AM broadcast band and especially the LW band. For example, with one of my portables, only a couple of local LW beacons can be heard without using any external antenna. Hook up about 50' of wire and couple it to the portable with a ferrite and 25-30 or so beacons can be heard daytime (more at night).

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Seems like the only way it could work with radios lacking an external antenna jack is by some means of
inductive coupling... stay tuned.

This antenna comes with a coupler, for that type of connection. That is in addition to the two modes of physical connection.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
it might be that odd-shaped box that's on top. It does have a frequency range selector on it. Again, gotta wait and see...Mike

chipbutty

Probably similar to the Degen DE31 loop which is a very good performer. I have one. Radio Jay Allen compared it to the Sony ANLP1 and it favoured very well. I'll buy the AN-48x to see how it compares with the DE31.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's now available from Al-Anon and perhaps later this year, other distributors like Universal Radio...

Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
It's now available from Al-Anon and perhaps later this year, other distributors like Universal Radio...

Mike

Universal would be nice. Driveway to driveway, it's 13 minutes. Which also makes it not nice. :)

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.