A newbie question about good VHF UHFfrequencies to scan

Hawkman

I am studying to hopefully test next month on the Technical and General exams.
In the meantime, I have a GMRS HT that scans 87 programmable receive-only VHF UHF frequencies. I would like some recommendations on frequencies to program in to listen to some Ham transmissions. Thanks for the input, and if it is a stupid question, I am not sensitive. Just tell me so, BUT explain why it is stupid.

Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For the 2 meter and 70 centimeter amateur radio bands, your best chance of hearing other hams is to scan your local repeaters. Without knowing where you live, it would be hard for anyone to tell you exactly which ones.

Your best option is to search any one of the many amateur radio repeater databases on line for repeaters in your area.

Don't be surprised if you do not hear much, a lot of repeaters sit quiet most of the time. Try around local rush hour, and check the amateur radio club web pages to see if they have weekly nets you can listen in on.

There are simplex frequencies, but without a good external antenna, anyone you hear would need to be fairly close.

Good luck on your test.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
I've attached a link to the Amateur Radio Band plans. I'm not familiar with the receive capabilities of your GMRS radio but just about any scanner should be capable of receiving signals in the 2-meter and 70-cm bands. Some acanners would be able to receive signals in the 6-meter, 1.25 meter and even the 33cm and 23cm bands. You'll want to listen to the national calling frequencies, simplex and repeater output frequencies. Your GMRS radio operates on UHF freqs so you may be able to program some of the UHF (70cm) ham freqs.

Good listening and good luck getting your ticket.

Ham Radio Band Plans

Hawkman

I followed the advice and went to Repeater Book and found some local repeaters. I will experiment and see how far this HT will pick up. It is a fairly inexpensive UV-9R but fine for GMRS. For now, I will spend most of my $ getting some Ham equipment.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I followed the advice and went to Repeater Book and found some local repeaters. I will experiment and see how far this HT will pick up.
That you can receive a given repeater isn't in and of itself a quantifier of distance.

Repeaters are usually located on high ground with efficient antennas to provide a usable signal density throughout their coverage area. A station talking through that repeater may be many miles away from you, but because of the repeater, might sound like they're right across the street.

I'm not at all familiar with your area, but look in the RepeaterBook listings for any linked or wide coverage systems (conventional FM, not DMR since you have an FM-only radio). You might hear more on these repeaters since there's a wider coverage area.

mparker

don't be shocked if you dont hear much activity. a lot of hams use a at home hotspot to access digital channels.. I live in a large city with many repeated and none are terribly active. mostly in the morning and evenings.

GMRS might not be the best to "listen for learning" because it is a license free platform and you might hear some bad habits.

most importantly, have fun!

wb5y

All radios are designed to operate on specific frequency ranges and are designed or limited to different power levels. Your GMRS radio most likely is not designed to work well, or have the capability to be programed into the 2 meter ham band and most likely has a very limited power output. If you are studying to get your ham license and close to a metro area, you might want to invest in something like a Baofang UV-5R off of Amazon for under $25 to be able to monitor the Ham frequencies on ham repeaters in your area. Depending on terrain and your location, you can generally hear max 20 or so flat miles with it and when you get your license, talk about half that distance back with a clear signal with the limited 5w output power it has.

The free "repeater book" apps on android or iphone are the best sources for finding ham repeater frequencies in your area if you set it to access your location and the frequiencis to list. My "send people to go to study" is a free site, Hamstudy.ORG. Free for desktop computer use. I think they have to charge for registering for an app download to use on a cell phone. Gives you flash cards with a clicker to make sure you understand and learn why the correct answers are correct.

Old guy here, yep a VE to test both ARRL and W5YI if needed. I got my tech plus licence (5 levels of licenses back then, 3 now) to learn in 1979. But, Still learning and sharing what I can. Good luck to you Sir. PM me if I can help in any way.

If I can find 20Amps of 12 Volt power, I can talk to a select group of like minded people around the world. Look ma, no hands, or internet needed.

Last edited:

toekneepony

Premium Subscriber
every GMRS channel corresponds to 1 of 22 frequencies. Each sub channel on GMRS also has different tones. The radios we buy in the store that only has channels are the frequencies pre-programmed. Friday nights GMRS net is actually pretty active and fun. (assuming you have your GMRS license.) Please let us know how we can help get you ON THE AIR!!!!

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
If you have a scanner doing a 144 to 148 limit search is also a good way to got and pretty fast to go through on most so you'll find anything fairly active in the area pretty fast. Some things that aren't even in the databases.