A Quality handheld ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Have had my AnyTone 878 for a couple weeks now and really enjoying it. I also got the DVMEGA Hotspot to access talkgroups. All the Repeaters here in the Keys were destroyed during Hurricane Irma. Only a couple repeaters in the lower Keys have been repaired and upgraded to DMR also. Using DMR and Hotspot is the only way to go if no access to a DMR Repeater. Crystal clear reception and able to talk around the world. I'm going to install a DMR Hotspot in my vehicle in the future and use my cell phone wifi hotspot for access to the worldwide DMR network. A lot of my contacts are doing this already. Again, you can't go wrong with the AnyTone 878 from BridgeCom. They are very supportive of the equipment they sell.
DMR is that a upgrade or standard feature with the 878 ?

dazey77

Quality handheld, Hytera or Motorola. Great ham radio, Anytone 878. I have a bunch and the 878 is the most featured and useful as a ham radio but its quality in all aspects is a long way off the Hyteras and Motorolas.

From what you say, I would suggest 878 over a commercial radio.

dazey77

If there is some small concern about the upper funding limit, well, I have an Alinco DJ-MD5T that is a VERY close relative of the 878, and the bonus is that there is US-based support.
I got the MD5 over the Anytone (primarily because my first radio was an alinco and they are meant to be a similar radio). I sold the Alinco for the 878. Alinco has had hardly any software updates while the 878 has lots. 878 also has more features like bluetooth and analogue APRS. Feels like Alinco has abandoned the MD5

Status
Not open for further replies.