a question about frequency types

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowsersenemy

i'm pretty new to this, and i've got a question. i've got the codes in i want and all, but i keep seeing stuff like TX, RX, M, BM, RM, and i have no idea what these mean. and on the tones, i keep seeing stuff like PL and DPL. i have no idea what these are, and what they mean. is there an area on the main site that lists these? any and all help would be appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are looking in the database, float your mouse over the column header and you should see something pop up that will give a brief explanation of the terms and abbreviations found there.

For a more detailed explanation of things like PL and DPL, see our online Glossary, as Alabama suggested (and beat me to it, hi). Note that DPL = DCS (DPL is a Motorola trade name)

73 Mike

bowsersenemy

no, stuff like this.

in your tone sections, you have stuff like 94.8 PL and 754 DPL. i'm also seeing stuff like this:

Sheriff RX link from XXXXXX
Sheriff TX link from ??????

what does the TX and RX mean, and what does the Type thing mean? it shows stuff like BM, M, and RM. i'm not sure where to find that stuff out.

however, browsing arround the area you guys mentioned, has answered another question, i think. i've been hearing the police mention stuff like "code a, code i," stuff like that, in a short string. i'm assuming, that they're giving thier trunking id's?

yes, i am a noob to this, and hope NOT to stay one.

SCPD

QRT
TX = transmit , rx = recieve read the link posted & learn more
that will answer most if not all your questions

qlajlu

Silent Key
in your tone sections, you have stuff like 94.8 PL and 754 DPL.

With conventional frequencies, more than one agency in close proximity can use the same frequencies. They do this by using sub audible tones to act as "gate keepers" so that if the correct sub audible tone is not present in the radio transmission, the radio operator will not hear anything. (See this discussion on CTCSS and PL and this discussion on CDCSS and DPL tones.

i'm also seeing stuff like this:

Sheriff RX link from XXXXXX
Sheriff TX link from ??????

This simply means that the sheriff's receiving on a link from a certain frequency and that the sheriff's transmissions are sent out on a link to some other frequency.

what does the TX and RX mean, and what does the Type thing mean? it shows stuff like BM, M, and RM. i'm not sure where to find that stuff out.

RX and TX are radio operators shorthand for Receive and Transmit.

BM = Base - Mobile/Handheld.
M = Mobile/Handheld
RM = Repeater - Mobile/Handheld

The meaning of these can be seen if you float your cursor over the column heading labeled "Type" while you are looking at conventional frequencies in the Database.

however, browsing arround the area you guys mentioned, has answered another question, i think. i've been hearing the police mention stuff like "code a, code i," stuff like that, in a short string. i'm assuming, that they're giving thier trunking id's?

No. Every agency has different codes it uses for different things. More than likely an officer is giving his dispatch a code for how an incident was handled or maybe even where he is taking his break. Without know which agency or where there is no way of telling.

Speaking of where, I urge you to return to your User CP (the left side of the second blue bar from the top of any page if you are logged in) and edit your profile to include your location (city and state) as you were requested to do in the material e-mailed to you when you registered. Once you fill in your location it will automatically show in each of your posts. Many of the questions you will have, and their answers, are going to be location specific and without having your location showing you will be asked over and over again what it is. So fill it in now and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.