A4 Mobile Setup in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

THETINMAN

Just wanted to share and get suggestiongs and comments on a few pics of my cb/amp/antenna; v1; scanner/antenna installs in my 2004 audi A4.
My goal has been to keep my installs clean. I've tried to keep all the wires hidden, and everything out of sight.

My Midland 75-822 mini CB is installed in the drawer under the drivers seat. Power comes out of the underseat drawer, and the antenna cable peeks out from between the seat and center console. The cb fits nicely in the drawer when not in use:
459620cc-f67b-4a7a-9b9d-65ab168576f3_568x426r0.jpg

the Texas amp provides a clean 4 watts and is stowed in this compartment in the trunk, it is all hidden when closed, but I could clean the wires in the compartment up a little. I left just a little slack until i put in a relay and switch up near the drivers seat. The amp is a PERFECT fit in the compartment:
closed:
9deac158-db40-47e3-9cc8-003a64987062_568x426r0.jpg

open:
1889fcb0-e03e-42f1-a4c4-cacb0d6a4a55_568x426r0.jpg

all connected to a 49" laird antenna, on a laird trunk-lip mount:
0980eab5-892c-4802-ab78-e4ea2b7345e8_568x426r0.jpg

My RadioShack triple trunking scanner, which is programmed for almost all of NY, AND which I got permission from the FCC to use in NY, as I work for the local utility, is neatly wired into my glovebox using the hole for the ipod:
953a1c7e-e6c7-4bed-ade6-8b8b411b7894_568x426r0.jpg

all the wires are tucked, and attached to a 24" laird scanner antenna, on another laird trunk-lip mount:
175d14a6-a5f3-4486-a6dc-1a53c59f5a7a_568x426r0.jpg

and finally, the V1 mounted just under the rearview mirror:
b0186e15-e0bc-4099-a5e3-2e924ae3d859_568x426r0.jpg

and 2 more exterior shots:
f145ab1c-f382-4018-b8e1-1dddfa5e8e5c_320x240r0.jpg

6994b4b4-2aa0-45a9-adfe-4a073f880709_568x426r0.jpg

Honest comments and suggestions please! Always looking to improve!

Last edited:

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
VERY, VERY nice job, Tinman. I'd like to know WHO you wrote to at the FCC to get permission to carry a scanner in your vehicle because you work for the "local utility". I'm a volunteer fireman and I know WE can't get permission to carry them from the FCC OR the local Sheriff.

Mike

THETINMAN

VERY, VERY nice job, Tinman. I'd like to know WHO you wrote.....

Thanks for the complement Mike! I'm open to suggestions!
Regarding the FCC:
I work in the emergency response
Control center for the local utility, which is given yearly permits from the local and FCC authorities.
Previous to being in the control center I contacted the FCC attempting to obtain a permit, or license,which they are quick to say ok to PENDING local clearance, which I DID NOT get, until I was transferred.
The Utility carries the permit here, but for emergency response departments only.

do u have a scanner in the car because from ur pictures it looks like you just have a cb?
is it just for hobby or do you use it for your occupation

THETINMAN

Hey Texas-
Yup, I have the scanner in my car- runs right into my glove box, and stays there when not in use- when I'm using it, it sits on my center console.
I use it for business and pleasure.
Ok, mainly pleasure.

it is a very clean install i am actually looking for console ideas for my 2003 ford ranger edge. the problem that i have ran into is that i have a 60:40 bench seat in the front and that is the only poesing threat right now.

THETINMAN

Texas-
My friend as a mount that installs into your console, it requires pulling your radio out and reinstalling it with the bracket. Maybe if you ran the antenna wire into your glove box like I did, and clip the scanner to the bracket when in use. Many glove boxes will be forgiving enough to allow the coax to pass through when closed. Just an idea!

i need to make a console that i can access for when i am running to the station for a call. also i have to work aroung my passenger air bag switch.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
A lot has been talked about what states allow mobile scanners, but the simplest fact comes up - don't flaunt your scanner and 99.99999% of the time, no one will know, no one will care.

Shame they can't make a smaller whip for CB, would look better on your A4.

THETINMAN

I agree 100% on both... I've used this site for a while now and noticed that different things bother different users, same thing with LEO's, who knows what will bother them.
And yeah, the antennas look like a grasshopper, haha

mancow

Database Admin
Nice Install.

But, I'm continuously amazed at what people will put up with. I'm surprised ANYONE lives in NY. Seems you haver to have permission to wipe your...

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
Nice install...

But last time I checked the FCC does not issue any type of lic. for scanners they do how ever issue lic. for two way radio users. The FCC is not going to give any type of waiver to use a scanner. if you got a letter from your local pd you might be able to since it is nys law not FCC law....

THETINMAN

Fire and ems: yeah, that preety much sums it up- the FCC is quick to give you "permission" but its provided you get local approval.

Thanks eddie!

THETINMAN

Fire and ems: yeah, that preety much sums it up- the FCC is quick to give you "permission" but its provided you get local approval.

Thanks eddie!

THETINMAN

Thanks eddie!

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
V1 Rearview Mirror Post Mount

You might want to consider the Valentine One Mirror Post Mount; I forgot where I purchased it on the Internet, but I'm sure a google search will find the supplier. It was around $39.95, but is the best thing for the V1 as it frees up a lot of real estate on the windshield, and you can dispose of those annoying and unreliable suction cup mounts. I'll see if I can attach a few shots of my install. If you see a lot of spots on one or two of the pictures, that was because I was using my older digital camera, and it enhanced outside water spots on the windshield that actually weren't visible to the naked eye before I took the pictures.

It wasn't available through the official Valentine 1 website when I purchased it over a year ago.

You can adjust the bracket by the set screws, and once it's in place, you can bend it so that you can make adjustments to your rearview mirror and it's not in the way.

Last edited:

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I don't have any problem with Tinman having a waiver -- good for him. I just use my tin badge :cool:

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.