AAR Bandplan inaccuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS9710

The channels 107-196 do not exist, I've communicated through reliable engineers and conductors across all UP, BNSF, CN, CP, shortlines, CSXT, NS, Amtrak. No radios was equipped with the channels listed in the database, however the 307 to 488 channels do exist.

I even called radio shops who have worked with railroads, nobody I talk to have ever heard of the channels listed.

NS9710

Well as I said, we have channels 107 to 196 which do not exist, not sure who thought they did, but the 307-488 is confirmed.

byndhlptom

I'm not sure where you got your information, but those channel numbers are assigned to the NB interstitial frequencies.

5-99 old WB
005-099 NB assignment on old frequencies
107-198 NB interstitial frequencies (between existing frequencies)
307-499 NXDN assignment on both old freq and interstitial

While the 107-198 may not be used actively yet, they are designated and will be eventually be used.

I have seen this officially, but am not locating it right now.

I know of at least two newer Cab Radios that have these frequencies loaded in them....

NS9710

Again, I have talked to people in the above listed railroads, both handhelds and cab radios and even wayside radio programmers, NOBODY has seen or heard of any of these numbers programmed in their radios.

byndhlptom

KenFL9

Premium Subscriber
Channel 112, 160.2975 analog is in use by the Denton "A" Train commuter service as the road channel between Denton and Carrollton, Texas.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Again, I have talked to people in the above listed railroads, both handhelds and cab radios and even wayside radio programmers, NOBODY has seen or heard of any of these numbers programmed in their radios.

Just because they're not programmed or certain railroads choose not to use them doesn't mean they don't exist. They do exist; I have an Icom railroad radio (which came surplus from a railroad) which has them.

Last edited:

bruch

Premium Subscriber
Those frequencies do exist in the AAR plan as analog, but the AAR has decided to not use them unless absolutely necessary. Most railroads did not put them in their radios. The 300-400 channels do utilize all of the standard frequencies (097) and the Interstitial (100s) frequencies in the digital mode (NXDN). Very few of these are actually in use at this point. This is from the AAR band plan from a few years ago. (AAR- American Association of Railroads)

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I am the one that added them. They are valid. It should still be in the general information section - but they are not widely used.

They came about the time that rebanding was taking place, and before NXDN was selected to be the digital standard.

There are some of them in use in the US. What happened, due to the way the NXDN is setup, they were also incorporated into the 300-400 series bandplan, but still remain as part of the official AAR channel assignments.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The interstitial frequencies (100 series) were recalled by TCCI the radio coordinator for the FRA and railroads back in 2011. Amtrak had most all of them licensed accross the entire U.S. as portable channels. They were recalled so the ultra-narrow (6.25) channels could be licensed. I tried to get some 12.5 kc in between channels in 2010 and 2011 and was denied, and when I threatened to go directly to the FCC for a decision Amtrak suddenly surrendered (within 10 days no less) all there licenses and TCCI pettioned the FCC to hold off any licensing until a more complete plan could be made.
There were some radios that had the 100 series channels namely the Astro Spectra C.C. if so optioned from mother M.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The interstitial frequencies (100 series) were recalled by TCCI the radio coordinator for the FRA and railroads back in 2011. Amtrak had most all of them licensed accross the entire U.S. as portable channels. They were recalled so the ultra-narrow (6.25) channels could be licensed. I tried to get some 12.5 kc in between channels in 2010 and 2011 and was denied, and when I threatened to go directly to the FCC for a decision Amtrak suddenly surrendered (within 10 days no less) all there licenses and TCCI pettioned the FCC to hold off any licensing until a more complete plan could be made.
There were some radios that had the 100 series channels namely the Astro Spectra C.C. if so optioned from mother M.

There are several of the interstitial channels in use here in Ohio, so as long as railroads are using them, they will remain in the database. If someone provides proof that they're no longer valid, and there are no longer any railroads using them, we will remove them from the database.

With that, I don't think this dead horse needs to be beaten any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.