Abilene 800 System, A Catch-All

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanaholic

It's really getting crazy on this 800 trunking system here. It was getting overcrowded when they piled in all the trash trucks, city departments, clean up crews for the Civic Center and airport stuff. Now last night and today, I'm getting a bunch of gibberish about kids playing a sport- tennis or something, and it was non stop. If there had been a major fire, it would have never gotten through all that rubbish. I guess now the school district sports department has taken it over. They were mentioning every kid's name, scores, who went to the bathroom, what bus they were on, you name it. Just ridiculous.

I'm about to decide anyone who wants in on it can just get a radio and start talking like the family radio service. It is way overcrowded.

I think this Pro-433 can be set to filter out talk groups I don't want, but it took Dick calling long distance from OR last year to help me even get it programmed to trunk at all. No one in Abilene knew beans about it. So, I won't touch it. Probably foul it good.

They just need to draw the line somewhere on how many services can pile in on the system. It has become a glut of communication hodge podge.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
As long as they have a priority feature for police, fire & EMS, there is no problem. If the system gets too busy the goobers at the school and Bubba Joes at the dump should get a big honk when they try to key the mike! I seriously doubt that the system administators will allow too many users on the system without safeguards. Program in the talk groups you want to listen to and put the scanner in Closed mode or ID SCAN mode (depending on model), then that way you don't have to listen to all that nonsense!

scanaholic

Howdy, letarotor-

That sounds good about the "honk". lol! I guess the games finally ended. Haven't heard any more chatter on that. I'll have to learn how to program that stuff in and the rest, but thanks for that info.

scanaholic

Well, my wife just came to the door and said there's a woman giving birth at the Dollar General on Butternut St. That will be a Chinese fire drill.
biggrin.gif

tj20

Do you have any of those talkgroups (Airport, AISD, and anything else not in the database) written down? If so add them to the database. I was wondering if AISD was going to get on the system. I have not listened to my 396 in awhile because I thought there was not anything really interesting to listen to on the trunk system. It could get interesting on football Friday night.

scanaholic: PM sent

Last edited:

tj20

That is interesting that buses are using 451.3250. They still have the 800 mhz antennas on the buses from when they used the business trunk system before it was sold. I figured the buses would of gone to the cities new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.