ACARSD Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
I was wondering if someone could give me a gentle nudge. I just started using ACARSD and I pull in a decent number of transmissions for living in the mid atlantic. I saw jlh post a picture and noted that he had been able to monitor alot of USAirways traffic. JLH if possible, I was wondering if you can post (as you know them) optimal settings for ACARSD. Currently I am monitoring 136.85 and all I hear is AirTran, Air Jamaica, Delta, and JetBlue on the NY>FL corridor. I get a spattering of other flights, but 97% are starting or ending in those two states. Is there something else that I could be doing differently?

Let me know if you need more information!

Thanks

DanHenry

Try 136.8 for a better mix of traffic

Robby,

You might try 136.8 for a while. Here in NW Florida that's my most active frequency and has a good mix of airlines. 136.85 is my second most active and mainly Delta, Jet Blue, and others as you're hearing up there.

I usually run 136.8 and 136.85 all the time and rotate a third frequency in the last receiver to see how the traffic varies by freq.

As far as "tweaks" I usually run with my ACARSD volume reading 10-15 or so. You probably already know, but you need to keep the squelch open.

Have fun.

-Dan

morfis

Robbyboy said:
I was wondering if someone could give me a gentle nudge. I just started using ACARSD and I pull in a decent number of transmissions for living in the mid atlantic. I saw jlh post a picture and noted that he had been able to monitor alot of USAirways traffic. JLH if possible, I was wondering if you can post (as you know them) optimal settings for ACARSD. Currently I am monitoring 136.85 and all I hear is AirTran, Air Jamaica, Delta, and JetBlue on the NY>FL corridor. I get a spattering of other flights, but 97% are starting or ending in those two states. Is there something else that I could be doing differently?

Let me know if you need more information!

Thanks

Is the other person also using another source of decodes. ie. are they also connected to one or more servers?
I don't know the ACARS freqs for your area but try scanning (yes, it's quite possible to scan ACARS freqs if the signals are good - Yupiteru VT125 and Win 108 are both excellent airband radios that do this well) any other freqs that are used in your area.

jlh

Robbyroy, like DanHenry said, I used 136.8 a lot. Not running acarsd anymore. I added an audio-out jack to my 2052, so i don't have to change the volume. If you have that ability on your scanner, do it, a lot better than trying to get the volume just right. Also, that radio was connected to an outside groundplane, which enhanced reception of course. If I can offer anymore suggestions, let me know.

Where is Richlands? I'm in the triad.

Also feel free to PM me if I can help.

Just downloaded it again, so I could review the settings. I was also running the linux version, but I assume most of the settings will be the same. Bump up the decoder passes if you are running on a pc with decent specs, had mine set at 10. Activate the "show only good msgs", download all the plugins and activate the ones you like, especially the one(s) that show you the airplane pix and details on the side. Extended mode on, resolve airports on. Set up a map and let it show you the locations of the aircraft. I ~may~ still have an NC map on another box if you need it, was running it on 3 boxes at one time. ( Side note, once you get comfortable with it, if you have a pc you're not using a lot, set it up as an acarsd server, and let it run all the time, then you other computers can talk to it to get their acarsd info. This also allows you to connect to your always-running acarsd server from anywhere in the world, pretty cool. ) Databases - make sure to update your databases before you start running.

All I can think of right now.

Last edited:

jlh

Robbyboy, did you get it working? I replied to your PM, email is best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.