• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Aced my GMRS license

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

I don't even know if they still have them anymore. I had to have it to read the meters on a commercial radio station transmitter.
3rd class license and broadcast endorsement hasn't existed since about 1978. Maybe a few years after that. Then all you needed was a RR until about 1990 or so. Now you don't need anything to be a broadcast engineer or tech. The licensee is responsible for determing if you are qualified to read meters or operate the transmitter.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I like that I see guys from satellite forums here, shows we are all in the same game.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I will confess to one thing this baofeng picks up my anolgs better than any scanner I own. My county is anolog, but listen to Greenville most of thr time because Pickens came in weak, so no waste of money for me, works better than my scanners.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I will confess to one thing this baofeng picks up my anolgs better than any scanner I own. My county is anolog, but listen to Greenville most of thr time because Pickens came in weak, so no waste of money for me, works better than my scanners.
And that's pertinent because........

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
It beats the living daylights out of my 996 and modded 668, other than that it sucks.. All analog here and it works great. For $45 it is great in analog VHF, Bye the way we were having fun here, why the crash and burn back to I am a expert?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
And what is your response pertinent about?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Another instance of a angry old ham, does not want to hear anything that others believe or know to be true. My little radio to try is a POS, but it was just to try. I said one thing that it does well and a instant slam. No wonder the hobby is on the downslide. God forbid if you try stuff not approved by the masters.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Another instance of a angry old ham, does not want to hear anything that others believe or know to be true. My little radio to try is a POS, but it was just to try. I said one thing that it does well and a instant slam. No wonder the hobby is on the downslide. God forbid if you try stuff not approved by the masters.
That still has nothing to do with the original subject of the thread. I'm out of this one. See ya!

prcguy

Pepole like KK4JUG remind of alot of the angry old men in the 60's and 70's sitcoms.
Have you ever met KK4JUG? Your judging someone on just a few of their radio opinions? BTW, I also think your radio is a POS, I own about six Baofengs so I really know they are junk. Very sensitive yes, especially on a service monitor receiving only one signal or out in the extreme boonies where their inherent problems may not show up. If you don't get lots of intermod from strong out of band signals consider yourself lucky. So am I now an angry old man? If so my wifee will probably agree but for her its nothing to do with my intimate knowledge of Baofeng POS radios.

Lets see here, maybe I should add something relevant to keep the moderators at bay. Did I mention the last time I renewed my GMRS license there was no link to payment and I had to nuke it and start over? Second time I got a link and it worked just fine. First time I got a GMRS license in the late 70s there was no online option, sure is a lot easier these days.

And the Baofeng is still a POS and everybody knows it!

It really is good to have some fun here, thanks for letting me vent.

Baofeng POS

Baofeng POS

Baofeng, big POS

Last edited:

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever met KK4JUG? Your judging someone on just a few of their radio comments? BTW, I also think your radio is a POS, I own about six Baofengs so I really know they are junk. Very sensitive yes, especially on a service monitor receiving only one signal or out in the extreme boonies where their inherent problems may not show up. If you don't get lots of intermod from strong out of band signals consider yourself lucky. So am I now an angry old man? If so my wifee will probably agree but for her its nothing to do with my intimate knowledge of Baofeng POS radios.

Lets see here, maybe I should add something relevant to keep the moderators at bay. Did I mention the last time I renewed my GMRS license there was no link to payment and I had to nuke it and start over? Second time I got a link and it worked just fine. First time I got a GMRS license in the late 70s there was no online option, sure is a lot easier these days.

And the Baofeng is still a POS and everybody knows it!
This whole thread was a fun thread that even you participated in. That is all it was and has been for days. One person had to jump in and take the fun out of it, why is everything so serious here? My god it was fun until one of your buddies made it serious, while you were partaking in the fun.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
PRCGUY, you are judging me also and you do not know me.

prcguy

Meanwhile I'm sitting in my house in the dark with the drapes closed peeking out a small hole to the front yard and the wifee is looking out back in the alley for any moderators cars to pull up. I don't dare fire up a GMRS radio in fear someone will DF my LO leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.