Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyes00only

Am I wrong or have you started using more pop-up ads? It looks like I'm signed in but now I get a Google ad 100% of the time.
I always thought that being a paid subscriber limited the amount of annoying pop-up ads.
I still think Radio Reference is the greatest even though the hobby is not what it used to be.

Sincerely,

Jerry Kelly / eyes00only

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Am I wrong or have you started using more pop-up ads? It looks like I'm signed in but now I get a Google ad 100% of the time.
I always thought that being a paid subscriber limited the amount of annoying pop-up ads.
I still think Radio Reference is the greatest even though the hobby is not what it used to be.

Sincerely,

Jerry Kelly / eyes00only

I would suspect your premium subscription has expired.

hitechRadio

Sincerely,

Jerry Kelly / eyes00only
Check out Pi-Hole DNS server to stop the ads.
Works great to block the ads on all websites.

Or try a different DNS service that what your isp provides.

There are ways around the ads without being a prem sub to this site.

hitechRadio

And steal revenue from a great site like RR, I'm sure @blantonl would be happy to hear your suggestion
I am sure he would be,,LOL
It works Awesome on the news sites too,,the worst offenders of ads!!!..pages load super fast now also.
One of the best things I added to my home network.

I was surprised that 38% of my internet traffic was ad crap. It is like I went from DSL to 1gbit fiber.

Last edited:

hitechRadio

You can look at it like this.
SUPPORT RADIO REFERENCE THE SITE YOU SAVE MAY JUST BE YOUR FAVORITE.
Not sure the contract with ad service on this site, but many times you have to click on the ad for them to get the extra money.
So be sure to click on those ads,,"that I never see"!
:)

eyes00only

Darnit! Just had another cup of coffee and still can't find where to pay again for a subscription. I checked under my account.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not sure the contract with ad service on this site, but many times you have to click on the ad for them to get the extra money.
So be sure to click on those ads,,"that I never see"!
:)

We can always implement policies that if you are using an ad blocker, then we block your access to the site.

That would be unfortunate, and I hate to rely on ad revenue, but it does pay some of the bills around here.

So the best thing would probably to be less smug about proclaiming you are some genius about your use of an ad blocker. At the least, it's a little disrespectful.

hitechRadio

We can always implement policies that if you are using an ad blocker, then we block your access to the site.

That would be unfortunate, and I hate to rely on ad revenue, but it does pay some of the bills around here.

So the best thing would probably to be less smug about proclaiming you are some genius about your use of an ad blocker. At the least, it's a little disrespectful.
I never proclaimed being a genius, and I wasn't being smug. Simply was tired of the ads on other sites, especially news sites. Having your own DNS like pi-hole can also help protect you from hackers and malicious software.
I did not put Pi-Hole to stop the ads on this site specifically, just a side effect.
In general the ads here, do not bother me at all, they do not hinder site load time of the site. Which was my main beef with other sites.

I might ad if someone wants to try Pi-Hole you can always put this site and its ad redirection links in the white list.

A side note, in some cases Pi-Hole is not needed with some ISP's, they are already blocking the ads for you. Or many people can easily install plugins on there browser to do the blocking.

So I don't see what I said, should be worthy of the big dog getting on me. Getting around ads is nothing new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.