AEP Trunked Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

I haven't been able to hear ANYTHING but noise on the AEP trunked freqs. I just found out that there are "extra" things that have to be set up for the new West Virginia UHF trunked system. Stuff in the Multi-Table area of Win96. Does AEP have extra things that I need to set up to hear their VOICE traffic properly? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated !!!Thanks, Steve/Gallia :confused:

Bucko

Just make sure you have the AEP's EDACS setup in the correct LCN order. Bank type needs to be set to EDACS and RX mode to EDACS. No other services in the same bank also....
Example

ch 1 AEP Morgan 855.86250 EDACS
ch 2 AEP Morgan 859.28750 EDACS
ch 3 AEP Morgan 860.28750 EDACS

SLWilson

Aep - Edacs

Bucko said:
Just make sure you have the AEP's EDACS setup in the correct LCN order. Bank type needs to be set to EDACS and RX mode to EDACS. No other services in the same bank also....
Example

ch 1 AEP Morgan 855.86250 EDACS
ch 2 AEP Morgan 859.28750 EDACS
ch 3 AEP Morgan 860.28750 EDACS
I have set up the stuff that way, but, I've NEVER heard any voice traffic. I DO hear data bursts on some freqs and the noise like the Control Channel makes if you stop your Pro2096 on an Ohio MARCS CC.....
Steve :confused:

16b

Premium Subscriber
I hear data bursts on certain AEP talkgroups on a regular basis here in Columbus. What talkgroup IDs is the data coming across as? Perhaps there is just not very much activity in your area.

How many channels are on the site that you are using? If it is something really small (3, for example), that's probably an indication that AEP doesn't expect very much use for that site.

Bucko

At my location there are four sites that I have setup, Morgan co, Cutler, Oh, Beverly Oh and Caldwell, Oh. All sites are very active except the Caldwell site which is random for traffic. I have never heard data burst or a CC noise while in the scan mode. Morgan, Cutler and Caldwell only have three CC channels. I do see that Pt Pleasant and Gallipolis each have a site with 4 cc channel so I would think it would be busy.

KD8CPI

AEP in Fremont Also.

I'm here in Fremont and the closest system appears to be tiffin, Will i have any luck hearing there control channels. RS pro-2055 and indoor antena.

TIA
Brian

jeffy

Morgan

I listen to Morgan co. Especially during and after storms. I can usually get an idea where they (AEP) are in the county and more or less when they're heading my way for repairs. Catch some of the Medflight stuff too now that we have Medflight 6 stationed at the Morgan county airport.

Pro 2054, pro 89 and pro 94.

Bucko

I looked at my map and I see that Tiffin is in the next county down from you, not sure the distance for I did not check that. I have my 2055 set up on an attic antenna and the 2051 is on an indoor multi band on the other side of the room. Both pick up the counties that I mention very well. I do live on a hill which gives me an advantage for sure. All the sites I listen to are in the 20 to 25 mile range from me, so they are really not far away from me ( so if Tiffin is in that range maybe ). If you are using the stock wipe antenna it is hard to say, I know my Pro96 with the stock duckie pulls them ok.

Bucko

Right you will hear Med Flight on the Morgan county site often but then I hear them on the others too. The Beverly site is used mostly by the Muskingum River Power station.

KD8CPI

Bucko said:
I have my 2055 set up on an attic antenna and the 2051 is on an indoor multi band on the other side of the room.

I'm curious what antena do you have in the attic, my 2m antena is there now. do you possibly have a link to the antena you are using. Does it offer same coverage compared to whether it is on a tower outside or in your attic?

jeffy

aep/medflight

Bucko said:
Right you will hear Med Flight on the Morgan county site often but then I hear them on the others too. The Beverly site is used mostly by the Muskingum River Power station.

There are 6 medflight bases (Franklin, Lodi, Coshocton and so on) Morgan being number 6. Medflight 6 flies over my house a good bit. Although I have a trunking scanner (pro 94) I've never taken the time to figure it out... I simply assigned the Morgan/Beverly/Cutler and a couple of other 800mhz to a bank. I listen mostly to the highway dept. (Morgan and Athens), Morgan police, sheriff and fire. I turn my 800mhz bank on during and after storms and when medflight flies over. I sure wish I'd had a scanner as a child/teenager in the 60's.

Bucko

The antenna I use in attic for the 2055 is a cheap 20-176 shack ground plane. As for same coverage whether it was in the attic or tower, the tower would be the way to go with the added height and no structure to block of course. It does pull all the AEP sites that I monitor very well and compared the 5094 CM on the tower I think it is pretty good.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
SLWilson said:
I have set up the stuff that way, but, I've NEVER heard any voice traffic. I DO hear data bursts on some freqs and the noise like the Control Channel makes if you stop your Pro2096 on an Ohio MARCS CC.....

Your site may not be too busy, but if you're hearing talkgroups with data blips you're on the right track. AEP sends power monitoring data telemetry over the trunked system.

Tom WA8PYR

SLWilson

Gavin + Kyger Creek Power Plants

Bucko said:
At my location there are four sites that I have setup, Morgan co, Cutler, Oh, Beverly Oh and Caldwell, Oh. All sites are very active except the Caldwell site which is random for traffic. I have never heard data burst or a CC noise while in the scan mode. Morgan, Cutler and Caldwell only have three CC channels. I do see that Pt Pleasant and Gallipolis each have a site with 4 cc channel so I would think it would be busy.

I would think that the Gallipolis/Pomeroy sites would be kind of busy. We have TWO power plants in our county.

But, all I get are the data bursts.

In setting up my PRO2096 for the W. Va. UHF trunked system, I found out that there were "extended" things that had to be programmed....I thought maybe AEP needed them too...

Steve/Gallia:confused:

Bucko

Steve
That is sure odd that you are not getting any traffic, you would think there would be power station traffic and line crew traffic. For example the Beverly site is used mostly by AEP's Beverly power station although I do hear Marietta Trouble and Med Flight on it once and while. I do run all AEP sites in open mode, guess I like to hear it all.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
SLWilson said:
I would think that the Gallipolis/Pomeroy sites would be kind of busy. We have TWO power plants in our county.

But, all I get are the data bursts.

Many (if not most) of the AEP power plants rarely use the trunked system, instead still using their conventional stuff. Probably has to do with coverage issues inside the plant.

Tom WA8PYR

spd766sgt

medflight

Has anyone had any luck monitoring medflight from the Cleveland metro area (namely Northern Summit County.I know two ground units are based in the area.I have a PRO-97 and no outside antenna.

medic611

medflight

The ground units up in cleveland use either cell phones and 2 way pagers to communicate back to the comm center once they are out of the AEP system, however once the switch to MARCS happens you will be able to hear some traffic.

Bucko

n8uxf said:
They have been on 451.700
Right, the repeater is located where I work. Marietta Trouble is on the this 451.7 the same time they us the TG 05-121 on the EDACS systems. I did notice new License grant for AEP for Washington County so I would guess a new EDACS system maybe coming for this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.