• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Aftermarket XPR7550 case

Flameout00

I decided to get a new case for my beat up XPR7550, so off to ebay I went. Picked one up (w/ speaker) and it arrived today and I promptly swapped everything out. It actually was pretty easy. I wanted to make some programming changes and that's when I noticed the programming pins (or whatever they are called) were WAY off center, and my programming cable wouldn't make contact. Is this normal for these chinese knockoffs?
I wish I had noticed that before making the swap. Now I know better and hopefully it will save someone else the aggravation

The photo shows my original (on top) and the replacement case below it
20240113_212019_resized.jpg

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I made the same mistake with an HT-750 clear case. I thought it looked great, but several functions failed to work. I didn't program it or make any other changes. Ultimately, I swapped out the knock-off and put the stock OEM case back on it. It was fine after that. Big mistake.

Flameout00

I was able to get it to work. Peeled the sticker off, had to reposition the contact pad underneath it, the reapplied the sticker

PACNWDude

Noting this for future reference for XPR7550/e radios I might want to try this with.

However, I have been re-casing XPR6550 Trbo series radios and they are a lot better quality. I have been getting XPR6550 re-case kits from Amazon and they have the "XPR6550" sticker on the front of the case blurred out, and show a black border around the display where "Motorola" would be seen underneath the plastic bezel. When they arrived, they had green on black "XPR6550" stickers on the front, and underneath the clear plastic display protective film "Motorola" underneath. They do not look generic as I had expected. They program like original cases and seem to work and hold up as the originals did.

In the XPR6550's I have, they often have broken Push-To-Talk (PTT) buttons, and some end up needing their volume/on/off pots replaced on the main board. These have been worth the $35-40 each to re-case them, as opposed to buying new old stock, or refurbs from some online vendors, or even worse, working the odds on something from auction sites.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Some are better than others. It's a gamble. Anything that needs tight tolerances, like the accessory jack, PTT, and knobs, can be problematic. It seems they just 3D-scan the real parts and go straight to manufacturing them without any actual radio people or even a mechanical engineer getting a sample to approve. I guess you get what you get for 70-90% off. ;)