Aircare in the Quad-Cities

mws72

Premium Subscriber
A friend sent me information that Aircare will be basing a helicopter in the Davenport/Bettendorf area. No more information currently. They are looking to more personnel.

A related question is there a medevac helicopter forward based while they are racing at Iowa Speedway in Newton?

n0esc

Feed Provider
A friend sent me information that Aircare will be basing a helicopter in the Davenport/Bettendorf area. No more information currently. They are looking to more personnel.

A related question is there a medevac helicopter forward based while they are racing at Iowa Speedway in Newton?
I wouldn't think that they would. You'd have ground EMS / medical providers on scene, but it's only a 10 minute flight out of Des Moines to get to Newton so I don't think they would get much/any benefit of moving to on site. That moves response 10 minutes farther east for any incidents W of Des Moines. And criteria for a flight are much more likely to happen with a farm accident or standard passenger MVA than a track crash with all of the safety gear and equipment. May take 10 minutes to even stabilize a driver and get them out of a car anyways. Just my .02

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
I wouldn't think that they would. You'd have ground EMS / medical providers on scene, but it's only a 10 minute flight out of Des Moines to get to Newton so I don't think they would get much/any benefit of moving to on site. That moves response 10 minutes farther east for any incidents W of Des Moines. And criteria for a flight are much more likely to happen with a farm accident or standard passenger MVA than a track crash with all of the safety gear and equipment. May take 10 minutes to even stabilize a driver and get them out of a car anyways. Just my .02
When racing at Iowa Speedway, an air care helicopter is typically landed at the in field care center for the remainder of the race.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Mercy AirMed is positioned at Iowa Speedway during racing events. It is normally AirMed 2 out of Knoxville. Iowa Speedway has a relationship with MercyOne for medical staffing in the infield care center and the grandstand care center. The medical director for Iowa Speedway is from MercyOne and staffs the 99 truck for most races. CARE Ambulance handles the on-track ambulance response in conjunction with NASCAR/Iowa Speedway medics and AMR Safety Teams. MercyOne handles transports away from the facility.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
This is entirely incorrect.

Source: IAmA Firefighter/Paramedic who works for NASCAR.