Scanner Tales: The Magazines

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I know many of us are used to paper mags etc…I was trying to make a transition to my Ipad, but as an example, QST and related ones are available now at significant extra cost in paper which I will not pay, but this is the third month I have forgotten to go on line to try and read. It’s too much work to download and keep organized. And the frightening thing is, I don’t really miss them! I now pick and read individual articles about specific topics online but no mags.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I was a faithful subscriber to PopCom for many years. Not always the best journalism, but certainly (for me) the most interesting. I also read MT if there was something of interest. Like other oldsters here, I enjoyed monthly visits to the radio stores to browse the magazines and see what was new in electronics.

Police Call (mainly the SoCal detail edition) was invaluable to me as a news photographer, although Gene's "UXX" listings for FBI, USS (Secret Service) and other three letter government agencies got childishly tiresome after awhile.

Tom Kneitel's writings and publications filled in a lot of Gene's "UXX" gaps, especially the Top Secret Registry of US Government Frequencies. I still have a couple of copies that I use for reference occasionally.

There was another author/publisher, whose name escapes me at the moment, who published thick, computer printout books of California frequency guides in the 1980's or '90's. I think I still have a couple of them in the file cabinet.

The internet has removed a lot of the mystery and intrigue that was once a part of the scanner scene for better or worse. Conversely, agencies has adapted by going BIG E or adopting technologies like LTE.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I really miss all those old magazines, Radio & Electronics, Popular Communications, Monitoring Times. The world was not so fast paced, you could anticipate the magazine arriving in the mail with all those neat informative articles, advertisements and believable reviews, and all without "personalities".

Now days The Spectrum Monitor is the only thing of value I can find. It has one major drawback though...

BUMMER.JPG

... still it's a great magazine, and is a suitable replacement for Monitoring Times in my book. Even though it's in PDF only format, it's enabled them to keep the cost down and in the final analysis it is about the content.

sSetLvI.png

If you're interested, buy the last four months of the year individually, then subscribe in January.
Where else are you going to get such a great e-magazine for $3.00 an individual copy in this day and age?

NYAirOne

A local radio store always had MT and Pop Comm. Used to go there every month to pick them up and look around in the store. They also published their own freq book too with local information. Got to know the one guy there from going in all the time. He introduced me to the Milair band. Our local military base had fighters at that time and they used to train at least twice a day. He gave me some freqs to check out to hear them and i was hooked after that. We would trade info every time i went in the store. He also made up a local milair freq book and gave me a copy when it came out. I have been listening to milair for probably 30+ years now. The store is long gone now and i tired to look up the guy to see if he was maybe on facebook, but i heard from a local radio guy that he had passed away. Spent alot of time in the store and chatting with him. I miss having paper magazines to read. I used to get 5 car magazines, out of all of them the only one left in paper is Hot Rod magazine. Now it only comes out 4 times a year. I like to sit down with a actual magazine like at work when i eat my lunch and read through it. I stare at a computer most of the day at work, so i like the break to read paper. I still get 2 gun magazines and i also get Trains magazine in the mail. Im sure its just a matter of time before everything goes to digital only.

jaymatt1978

As a write I got my big break with ScanningUSA when Ed Muro gave me an opportunity to introduce myself in his column. It was my first time writing and I was horrible a t editing my own work, it's still hard. It was nerve racking but the reward was seeing my name in pr int! I then contributed a few more articles, including one on the communications during 9/11 which was the first time I ever monitored military aircraft. I had a ball writing. I then expanded my resume to include Scanner Digest where I had a bi-monthly column, unfortunately I didn't have enough material to keep the column going. I also wrote an article for the ARRL website which came down when they redesigned their website. Great memories

PACNWDude

I liked Popular Communications as they often had a Military Band monitoring section, and sometimes articles about odd radio intercepts. Being in the military at the time, it would often give me a larger picture of the compartmentalized projects and operations I was part of.

Always interesting to find out the "real" story after the fact. Or, find out what the public thought was going on from the radio traffic that could, and sometimes could not be heard (early 1990's before almost everything went encrypted, or P25 Phase II in 2012).

The Pro-2006 and later Pro-2042 with OS-535 board came in very handy in those days. Popular Communications is how I found out about that Optronics OS-535 board initially.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I liked Popular Communications as they often had a Military Band monitoring section, and sometimes articles about odd radio intercepts. Being in the military at the time, it would often give me a larger picture of the compartmentalized projects and operations I was part of.

Always interesting to find out the "real" story after the fact. Or, find out what the public thought was going on from the radio traffic that could, and sometimes could not be heard (early 1990's before almost everything went encrypted, or P25 Phase II in 2012).

The Pro-2006 and later Pro-2042 with OS-535 board came in very handy in those days. Popular Communications is how I found out about that Optronics OS-535 board initially.
Similar experience. I discovered PopComm in Korea, at Stars & Stripes Newsstand, or whatever it was called, at the main PX on Yongsan. I can't remember when I subscribed, but I think it was after I got to my next duty station, in Hawaii, and had trouble finding issues.