Airspy R2 Quality Control: Total Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
So basically just be close and since it would be the strongest signal, it should be fine?

I did it with a walkie talkie in the 462mhz range. First time it said like 3.00. Second time it said -1.40. Third time it said 0.06. Still looks good in the lower spectrum and off in the 800. I tried the shift in sdr and it had to be -400 to be on center.

Someone I know who is a ham is trying to get a signal generator for me to borrow for a day. So since I never used one before, does it hook directly to the airspy or do they have an antenna?

Attachments

• no shift.jpg
    no shift.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 201
  • shift.jpg
    shift.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 240

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Direct connect will be fine and set the output to something in the 3 digit micro-volt range. No need to overdrive the input. Make sure the SDR T-bias voltage is off.

Service monitor has an antenna sometimes for the transmitter side of the radio or an input that is heavily attenuated with an upper power input limit.

So when was the last time the signal generator was calibrated? I believe an on air signal of know frequency from a licensed Public Service agency will be as good if not better.

Mike

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
So when was the last time the signal generator was calibrated?
Mike

I calibrated the mini using a cobra walkie talkie,. I have not used the signal generator yet as the guy has not located one for me to use as of yet.

Going to try slicerwizard's suggestion if I cant find a signal gen soon. Will park close to my county's public safety systems tower and try to calibrate it to an 800mhz freq and see what happens.

Just not understanding why when I did it with walkie, it took 3 times to get a low ppm..

For sdr I can live with it off slightly as sdr has means of correcting. Unitrunker is what's killing me as there is no ppm adjustment as of yet.

Airspy-US

Please contact us directly for instruction. You're not interpreting what you are being shown correctly - including the fact the calibration saw does not tell you the ppm error - it shows the ppm correction factor which will likely not be 0.000. Also please do not use any portable radio as a calibrated reference source.

We are willing to bet you also did not clear it prior to calibration which is a required step for accurate calibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.