OP25 Alias Tagging Patch IDs

CanesFan95

I'm trying to figure out patch IDs and how to tag 'em with an alias. Say you have 2 TGs that get patched together. Instead of seeing either TGID when someone keys up, all you get is the patch ID which is usually something in the 65xxx range. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason as to which patch ID number gets assigned and when. So you can't tell what you're listening to when you see a 65xxx ID pop up.

Is there a way to label these things so you can tell what TGs are in the patch? Thanks.

wgbecks

I'm trying to figure out patch IDs and how to tag 'em with an alias. Say you have 2 TGs that get patched together. Instead of seeing either TGID when someone keys up, all you get is the patch ID which is usually something in the 65xxx range. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason as to which patch ID number gets assigned and when. So you can't tell what you're listening to when you see a 65xxx ID pop up.

Is there a way to label these things so you can tell what TGs are in the patch?

It sounds like you might be monitoring an L3Harris system where I believe they use a pool of Super Groups (SG) that are associated
with dynamic regrouping. IE: The 65xxx range. On a Motorola system, the SG becomes one of the groups involved in the patch.

I just logged into a remote site that is monitoring an L3Harris system but I don't see any active patches to capture at the moment.
Here is filtered logfile output from Boatbod OP25 depicting how they appear on a Motorola system.

11/29/23 23:38:52.046877 add_patch: tgid(5032) is patched to sg(5027)
11/29/23 23:42:13.105718 update_talkgroups: sg(5027) patched tgid(5032)
11/29/23 23:42:13.229475 update_talkgroups: sg(5027) patched tgid(5032)
11/29/23 23:42:13.242627 update_talkgroups: sg(5027) patched tgid(5032)
11/29/23 23:42:13.367200 update_talkgroups: sg(5027) patched tgid(5032)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
There is no "rhyme or reason" to the supergroup tgid. The tgid is randomly assigned as needed. The pool is in the 65xx range, usually starting around 652xx in the L3Harris system I've seen. There is a Motorola system outside DC that assigns dynamic (random) tgids in the 20xxx range to users that roam onto their system when the user loses coverage from their home system, done through the "magic" of ISSI.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Say you have 2 TGs that get patched together. Instead of seeing either TGID when someone keys up, all you get is the patch ID which is usually something in the 65xxx range.

So you can't tell what you're listening to when you see a 65xxx ID pop up

Is there a way to label these things so you can tell what TGs are in the patch?

I think what @CanesFan95 is looking for is how to display the tg's involved with the patch and not just the patched tg id. I believe I have seen Sdrtrunk display both tg's but that's when they were doing the patching.

2 systems, by me have patched coming into them and all I see is the 65xxx id and have no clue who it is when it's a different agency doing sending the patch.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I think what @CanesFan95 is looking for is how to display the tg's involved with the patch and not just the patched tg id. I believe I have seen Sdrtrunk display both tg's but that's when they were doing the patching.

2 systems, by me have patched coming into them and all I see is the 65xxx id and have no clue who it is when it's a different agency doing sending the patch.
I would imagine that there is a set of manufacturer specific opcodes that support Harris's implementation of dynamic regrouping ("Simulselect and Multiselect").

Here is a github thread about the issue:

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Noting that the OP25 dev lives and tests his product in a Motorola environment, and the closest L3Harris system is at least 25 miles away (over a broad expanse of water). If he sees this thread, perhaps he will invite the op to send him some raw recordings of the cch when these 65xxx talk groups are active.

boatbod

Noting that the OP25 dev lives and tests his product in a Motorola environment, and the closest L3Harris system is at least 25 miles away (over a broad expanse of water). If he sees this thread, perhaps he will invite the op to send him some raw recordings of the cch when these 65xxx talk groups are active.
The Harris patch opcodes are known and acted upon by my version of op25. What's likely missing is some code to force display of the native tgs, rather than the supergroup patch id. Probably not difficult to achieve, but in the case of multiple tg's being patched, which one should be the one that gets displayed as active?

On my harris system with dsdplus fl It never shows the two native tg id's only the supergroup id. On my sds100 it will show both tg and supergroup patch together.