Alpha tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peculiar1

I live in Cedar Rapids,Ia and the police,fire emt are all digital and on motorlla type II.

I'm using win96 software (new to it) I have enetered all the control freq and alternate freqs...I have also entered talk gorups ID's and the alpha tag for those.

However in reading the help files I see one can also enter the alpha tags(s) preceeding the freq's and then they will show up on the 3rd line of a pro96

My question is what do I use as alpha tags,what order?

The reason I'm confused is for example...I have like 30 talk group ID's with alpha tags..but only 15 freq's with only three of them being control freq's.

Any help would be appreciated.

DonS

When scanning a trunked system and stopped on an active talkgroup, the PRO-96 displays the alpha tag of the current control channel on the third text line: PRO-96 Display description.

This can be useful if you are scanning multiple sites in a single bank - if your alpha tags indicate something about the site, then the display will always tell you what site you're currently monitoring.

For the system I presume you're monitoring, this may not be very useful (since there's only one site). However, if you were monitoring a system like this one, you might tag the CCs with things like "South Zone", "Brisbane", etc.

Also, some people put multiple trunked systems in a single bank. (In general, this is limited to MOT systems where there is no overlap of programmed talkgroup IDs.) Tagging each system's CCs tells you what system is currently being received, without having to put that info into each talkgroup's tag.

Peculiar1

When scanning a trunked system and stopped on an active talkgroup, the PRO-96 displays the alpha tag of the current control channel on the third text line: PRO-96 Display description.

This can be useful if you are scanning multiple sites in a single bank - if your alpha tags indicate something about the site, then the display will always tell you what site you're currently monitoring.

For the system I presume you're monitoring, this may not be very useful (since there's only one site). However, if you were monitoring a system like this one, you might tag the CCs with things like "South Zone", "Brisbane", etc.

Also, some people put multiple trunked systems in a single bank. (In general, this is limited to MOT systems where there is no overlap of programmed talkgroup IDs.) Tagging each system's CCs tells you what system is currently being received, without having to put that info into each talkgroup's tag.

Thanks for the reply...In looking at the pdf file if I am reading it right...If I alpha tag the talk groups...they will show up on the 3rd line of the pro96..right? So I really don't need to put alpha tags next to freq's..? Sorry for the stupid ?'s

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I was told to program all freq's in....as CR rotates at times...and to program them in order
For EDACS system such as Ray Com, yes but Motorola or P25 systems only controls are used. As Don mentioned, use Site discription as alpha tage for Ray Com.

Usually a none active control will take on VC duties.

DonS

Thanks for the reply...In looking at the pdf file if I am reading it right...If I alpha tag the talk groups...they will show up on the 3rd line of the pro96..right?

No. The talkgroups' alpha tags show up on the 4th (bottom) line of the display.

In my PDF, "SantaClaraC1" is the alpha tag of the control channel and "Police Disp" is the alpha tag of the talkgroup. I have all of the system's frequencies programmed (only one site), and have them tagged "SantaClaraC1" through "SantaClaraC7". As the system rotates through control channels, I see different tags appearing on line 3.

A note about programming all frequencies vs. just the ones flagged as "control" or "alternate"... If the source data is correct and complete, you only need to program the "flagged" frequencies. If, however, the data is incorrect or incomplete, then the system might switch to a frequency that you don't have programmed - the symptom will be loss of all traffic on the system. If you have the space available in the bank, there's no big downside to programming all of the site's / system's frequencies (though the scanner might take a few extra milliseconds to find the control channel if it has to look through "extra" frequencies).

Peculiar1

Don...I see that... today I uploaded to scanner the stuff I've got programed...Now I have another question

In the win96 software a freq is listed on ch 7 when my scanner stops on that freq my scanner say ch 5..Did I do something wrong? How do I fix it?

Thanks for you help

DonS

In the win96 software a freq is listed on ch 7 when my scanner stops on that freq my scanner say ch 5..Did I do something wrong? How do I fix it?

When the PRO-96, while scanning, stops on a voice channel, the top line should show "Sbcc", where <b> is the current bank and <cc> is the channel number of the current control channel. The second line of the display will show "VC fff.ffffff", where <f> is the frequency of the voice channel. The third line will show the alpha tag of the control channel, and the fourth line will show the talkgroup ID or alpha tag.

I presume that your above means that the top line is showing "Sb05", but the frequency on the second line corresponds to what you have programmed in channel 07? If so, that sounds normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.