An Encouragement for Highly Experienced & Well Seasoned Operators

hill

Premium Subscriber
I am a member of great ham club in Eastern Baltimore County, but didn't really join to be mentored with being a ham for over 6 years.
The club is the Aero Radio Club. Also have been around ham radio my whole life with my grandfather being one, but I was mainly into monitoring before taking the test in 2008.

This club is only about 8 miles from home and a 15 minute drive.

We have both members that have been hams, since the 1950's and much newer hams. All get along very well. Several experienced members are always willing to help new hams and travel with them to the HRO about one hour away.

We have good meetings twice a month and nice Field Day each June where the club meets at a small airport. Plus operate in few contests each year.

Going forward I have learned some stuff and about 4 years ago stepped up to be the club"s secretary. It isn't too taxing with only taking about 1 hour to complete the minutes.

In area near Baltimore/Annapolis we have 2 or 3 other very active ham clubs.

FAT_Ronnie

He's probably gone, forgotten about us, or otherwise moved on.

View attachment 157715

I feel attacked. Lol

Thankyou, RadioReference.com I will never financially recover.

In 2022, I asked the kentucky forum for advice on a scanner. I received excellent advice from multiple members and ultimately bought the best uniden I could.

During a scan I discovered amateur radio repeaters, I became intrigued with the hobby and came back to RR to research.

After passing the tech license, I came back to RR to find every available repeater in my area to transmit my scratchy trashy HT audio on.

When I wanted to know about antennas, RR search function, and my HT transmissions got better.

I decided to install a mobile radio, RR threads helped me along.

I bought a Icom R75, radio refrence threads showed me how to drive it.

I passed my general last Month.
This hobby is a blast, and I'm going broke.

Thankyou, to all of you for the information y'all have compiled here.

Included a picture of the shack.

Attachments

• 20240306_165335.jpg
    20240306_165335.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 11

FAT_Ronnie

Oh I'm just crying because I'm saving for a HF transceiver, and a remote tuner (i know, I don't need, but) , more low loss coax, and those N connectors (a beautiful design)

I figured the "why won't anyone be my "ideal" Elmer" thread was a good time to say Thankyou. Thankyou to all of those who answer threads, often the same questions asked repeatedly. I have searched this forum for answers more times then I could count, if I couldn't find the answer, I found myself educated enough to modify the question and move forward.

Not everyone is an Elmer: not everyone knows they are an Elmer.