Analog vs Digital Taps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucephalus

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Are there any advantages and/or disadvantages of tapping older analog receivers and newer Digital ones? (I.G. my PRO-2022 vs a PSR500). As far as I understand so far, all tap sites pull in the same data? However, its the second audio scanner that will determine what code can be heard (I.G. Digital, P25, APCO). Am I correct?

Also when I make my decision on which Digital scanners I purchase, I am leaning toward the
BCD396XT and BCD396XT, for these units will not require a second audio scanner due to built in taps?
 

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
When using one of the XT's for control channel data source to a trunktracker program, they must be held on the control channel, so they cannot give you the listening audio as well. It still takes two radios, one for the control channel, and one for the trunktracker to control.
 

Bucephalus

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Hi Skip,
So with any Trunker program, my control scanner doesn't have to be Digital? Tapped analog scanners receive the exact same data a digital scanner would? The scanner being controlled by the Trunker would have to be the one capable of receiving P25 and Digital, right? I am curious if their really is a difference between digital and analog control channel scanners?
 

FlashSWT

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
489
Reaction score
2
Location
Galveston/Houston, TX
You are correct, you can use any old scanner for the discriminator input (as long as it can receive the frequency range you need.)

.
 

cg

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
5,244
Reaction score
1,773
Location
Connecticut
It depends how old "older" is. Some scanners may not have the proper step if you are looking for tracking a VHF system. Also some older ones may allow more interference from adjacent channels.

chris
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top