Anderson P25 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmatic

I never hear anything on this at all. I am only ~ 10 miles from Anderson.

I still hear stuff on their conventional system. Is it that they are just using the new system yet ?

LarrySC

The Anderson P25 is somewhat hard to hear because of the 5 tower Simulcast, HOWEVER, newer scanners do a better job. Post your scanner details and setup so we can help you. The main issue could be the ten miles.

LarrySC

I've tested the Scantenna and found it lacking in the 800 range. Also the 50' of RG-6 is the best cable if you have a good signal to start with. You need to check the tower locations and measure the distance from your location. The word "Easley" covers 1/2 of Pickens Co. My family members in Georgetown and Dacusville all have "Easley" mail address. HaHa I have lots of antenna info if you need it. Use: larryscan@charter.net

medictinysc

Premium Subscriber
I work as a paramedic in the Anderson area if I were to buy a p25 radio is it just program and go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarrySC

With a new system new talk groups come on line ever so often. Any scanner would need to be brought up to date. Some people want the City and County comms seperated. Not a problem with a regular scanner. Could be an issue with HP-1. .I've found the PRO / PSR GRE scannerw real easy to program and manage. Good Luck.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I work as a paramedic in the Anderson area if I were to buy a p25 radio is it just program and go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A trunking radio is a lot more complicated and secure than conventional radios. You'd have to first acquire permission with the radio system manager to get a radio ID authorized on the Palmetto P25 system. I would not buy a radio until you get permission (in writing) saying so. After that you have to make sure you buy a radio that supports the radio system you want to use it on. Palmetto P25 is a APCO 25 9600 baud system so make sure your radio supports that. Once you get your radio you'll have to talk to whoever runs your department and have them program your radio. Only people with a system key can program your radio and system keys are only issued to people trained and trusted to program radios.

Really not a difficult process if you have a legitimate reason to be on the system, but be warned that not many radio systems allow personal radios, so there is a chance you may get told no. At that point your ability to talk will be gone, but you can still scan the system with a scanner or passively on a radio as receive only (somewhat difficult for a novice programmer).

Of course, all of this is a moot point if you only need a conventional radio to listen to the VHF dispatch comms, and possibly talk on IF VHF is patched and/or monitored.

Hope this helps.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Listen to Larry,he knows what he is talking about. My 106 and 197 hear Anderson just fine up here in TR.

Status
Not open for further replies.