• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anderson Powerpole Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

twexzer

Premium Subscriber
Hi all!
I have a CB and a PSR-410 Scanner. I am working on a go-box type thing that I can plug into the cigarette lighter of a vehicle.

It seems as if Anderson Powerpole connectors are industry standard. My plan is to use these and a rigrunner for fuses and distrobution.

My question is: what type of powerpoles do I need? Amp wise? What gauge wire should I use? What tools do I need to crimp? I have never used these bfore but they seem awesome.

Thanks so much in advance,
Sam
Western MA

twexzer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much- powerwerx seems to carry everything I need. Also, the ARES standards was very informative.

twexzer

Premium Subscriber

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...Would I need to get the "inverse" version to connect red to red and black to black, or does the set of 10 come with 5 of each?

There is no 'inverse' version of them. That's what they mean when they say they are non-polarized', but really what they mean is 'non-gendered'. There is no male connector, and no female connector. The way they're built, identical connectors will mate together.

The 30 amp version seems to be the most common.

twexzer

Premium Subscriber
Theyre all the same - they still plug into each other. Pretty neat things, you need to play with them in your hand to figure it out.

So even if the red and black connections are perminently connected like in that link they will plug into each other? Cool....these seem really well designex. The 30 amp version complies with the ARES standard so I think that's what I will get.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

zz0468

QRT
Banned
So even if the red and black connections are perminently connected like in that link they will plug into each other

Yep. Once you get some in your hands, you'll see how they work. It's a clever design.

LtDoc

I like power-poles, they are just really handy for a lot of different things! I'd also advise getting the crimper if you can, it makes installing them much easier.
What size connector to get? Basically, what size do you need, or might possibly need in the future? I tend to 'fudge' with that, use the 45 amp connectors for everything. Same size plastic body as the smaller ones, just a larger metal part in some cases (wire size). 'Over-doing' it in that respect doesn't hurt anything. (I don't require a 45 amp capacity, but I might, you know?)
While you're at it, take a look at some of the connector 'blocks' that are offered. They can be quite handy too.
- 'Doc

(There are two versions of that crimper offered, I've got both. Wish I'd gotten the more expensive version to start with, big difference in ease and speed!)

BillyFred

They'll come with a little round metal pin to lock the positive/negative together (side by side) My experience is these pins will shake out over time. They are really not needed since the block slide together fairly tightly.
The problem is that little pin is very conductive and depending on where it goes it can be an issue.

I prefer to leave them out however I do use the little holes they fit into. I run a small wire tie through the holes on the two mating blocks and that prevents you from unplugging a connector should you snag the wire etc. Beats fishing in the console for the other end.

Also note that they come in colors. I use yellow for my switched/ignition sense wires and red/black for +/-.

These are great connectors and I've used them to standardize all the power in my truck.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
I agree on the crimper, the TRICrimp seems to be a great tool. Saves a lot of time spent playing with crimping pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.