• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Another CDM1250 question - Startup channel and power draw

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased two used CDM1250's, S-split, and have been going through programming and testing.

I'll start with the programming question: Every time I restart the radio, it reverts back to channel 1, or my first personality channel. I would like it to start-up on the channel I last had selected. I've seen other programming software where this is an option, but I don't see it on the Professional Series CPS. Advice?

Power consumption: It seems that these radios are pretty "thirsty" for voltage. I misplaced my inline power meter, so until a new one comes in the mail I can't read the DC amp draw, but from testing with a multimeter, these CDM's (both) bring down a 12V battery from ~12.7V charged to around 10.7V in standby, not receiving, not transmitting. Is this normal voltage drop? I don't nearly see the same drop from any ham radios I own, or even an XPR 4550. In general, it seems like this type of draw would be a deal-breaker for a vehicular install.

I appreciate any advice or observations you have about what I've described.

K2NEC

With programing you have no choice. It will always revert back to personality 1 after writing a codeplug by default. You are thinking of on powerup. You can tell the radio to power on the last selected channel.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I see in the CPS insofar as an option to recall, is an option for "Recall Last Selected Menu".

I had a temporary company car for a short period of time in between my permanent company cars that was equipped with a CDM1550 and I don't recall (no pun) if I had that problem but our primary channel was Zone and Channel 1. However, there were times that I had details and had to use other channels but I don't think I had to set the channel every time I shut off the radio and turned it back on. Of course, that was a few decades ago.

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased two used CDM1250's, S-split, and have been going through programming and testing.

I'll start with the programming question: Every time I restart the radio, it reverts back to channel 1, or my first personality channel. I would like it to start-up on the channel I last had selected. I've seen other programming software where this is an option, but I don't see it on the Professional Series CPS. Advice?

Power consumption: It seems that these radios are pretty "thirsty" for voltage. I misplaced my inline power meter, so until a new one comes in the mail I can't read the DC amp draw, but from testing with a multimeter, these CDM's (both) bring down a 12V battery from ~12.7V charged to around 10.7V in standby, not receiving, not transmitting. Is this normal voltage drop? I don't nearly see the same drop from any ham radios I own, or even an XPR 4550. In general, it seems like this type of draw would be a deal-breaker for a vehicular install.

I appreciate any advice or observations you have about what I've described.

If your battery voltage is dropping immediately to 10.7, you have a bad cell in your battery.

WA0CBW

Check all the DC cable connections from the battery to the radio. That includes any fuses and holders. Look for corroded battery and chassis ground connections.
Bill

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback.
Last comment- DC cables and connections are good, no blown or bad fuses, and the battery is a new-ish 18Ah SLA battery only 2 year old and maintained above 12V its whole life. I've only used it on the bench to test radios temporarily, also while I program.

CPS- Yes, I see "recall last selected menu." I will select that and see if it fixes the problem on startup. That is what I was looking for - if I turn the radio off on 'channel 3', I would like it to turn back on on 'channel 3' after I restart it. Programming re-start isn't the goal.