Another Langley Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
If anyone is interested, Langley is running ANOTHER exercise.

They had one last month, so I am not sure what is going on. Either last month was a prep for this one or they failed so miserably they are going to practice until they get it right. For the troops, I hope it is the former and not the latter.

The exercise TGID's I posted last month are very active and there may be other new talk groups being used as well. I'll try to keep a log.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, but I know they had a four day exercise last month. Two in two months is unusual.

From my time in the AF, we did these kinds of exercises once or twice a year. If a major inspection was coming (usually once every two or three years), we would do a practice before, but not a full three days and usually not so close to the real exercise.

The only time I've seen something like this if the unit failed and the inspection team returned to see if they had 'fixed' their problems.

This exercise sounds a lot more intense than the one last month. Lots of EXERCISE 'attacks' with small arms, mortars, possible chemicals, suicide bombers and other things like injuries and damaged equipment and facilities.

Glad I am sitting here listening and not there 'participating'.

falcon4o

All the traffic that you are listening to at Langley today (and the rest of the week) and for the last 3 months or so have been ORE's. They are getting ready for the real ORI in April.:(

SCPD

QRT
falcon40 whats those abbres. ore & ori, milcom nut gg to obx like to hear the af navy etc.. in may trip

SCPD

QRT
leh yorktown resident is there any area i could park near langely to see their take offs and landing??tnx

SCPD

QRT
LEH when i pass thru yorktown coming down rte17 beautiful ride no congestion fm md is there any areas that are close to langely to observe air ops, once going down i had sunroof open and a raptor flew over, almost wrecked my car i rather be parked its a lot safer

LEH

Premium Subscriber
bobf9f5 said:
LEH when i pass thru yorktown coming down rte17 beautiful ride no congestion fm md is there any areas that are close to langely to observe air ops, once going down i had sunroof open and a raptor flew over, almost wrecked my car i rather be parked its a lot safer

As you are driving down Rt 17, headed south, you'll come to a ramp (really the only one on 17 between the Coleman and Newport News). This is state route 134 (AKA Hampton Highway/Magruder [in Hampton City]), head down 134 about six miles. Once you are in Hampton City, look for a ramp to the right. This will be Cmdr Sheppard Blvd. Loop around and go to the first light and turn right. Langley is on the left and there is a road to the right, right under the end of the runway, where you can pull over and watch.

To get back to 17, you'll need to turn right (divided road) and make a U-turn at the light (gate into Langley). Go back the way you came and loop back onto 134 (the road dead ends there so you will want to go south). Follow 134 until it runs into I-64 (about 2.5 miles and a left exit onto 64). Merge into the second lane on 64 and take the next exit (about 1/4 mile) towards the James River Bridge (which is route 17) and follow Mercury to the Bridge and you're back on 17.

PoqFFEMT

Not another exercise.... This is our Inspection

All the exercises up till now have been prep for the ORI this week.... We've not had any miserable failures. Just getting ready for the inspection....

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Guess I'll turn a scanner on to Langley this afternoon. Thought the exercise (inspection) probably won't start until tomorrow, but one never knows. When I was in SAC, they started the two ORI's I was in on a Sunday and Saturday respectively.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Not a lot of action, but sounds like things are getting ready for the fun to begin. I imagine when I get up in the morning, things will be going full bore.

Good luck guys.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Well it's on. Lots of muffled transmissions today. Gas masks will do that.

They did have a real world IFE and some real world explosions ("booms" is how the called it). The IFE was nothing major, the booms were to chase birds off the airfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.