Another one bites the dust...AES closing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Yea but HRO is generally more expensive than GigaParts, The Ham Station, Main Trading Co and others. When I was comparing prices at the Dayton Hamvention HRO area several years ago I got yelled at because I asked if they would match someone else's price.
prcguy

Thats what you get for keeping my Kenwood TS2000 for half a year,losing it,and then sending it somewhere else after I send it to you and giving it back to me unfixed while trying to charge me money for shipping it back to me!Oh yeah and the prices were too high..........
Good Riddance! Bye bye!

HRO all the way,baby!,they deliver what they say they are going to!

TheSpaceMann

You're not wrong, Danny. Our spectrum is very valuable, and the only thing that's stopped most forays into it are the relatively large antennas needed to make broadband work. 420-440 would be the biggest antennas of the bunch if MIMO schemes were implemented, and most of those radios would need an external antenna(s) to work effectively. And, the other thing that saves us is that these frequencies are usually secondary to, or co-primary with government radiolocation. If we had to stand up for ourselves, we would have lost them already, particularly since a frequency audit would only reveal pockets of activity, rather than continued use. I've said it before, I'll say it again: amateur radio spectrum should be taken away from the FCC and given to the Department of the Interior to steward as a "Spectrum National Park." Giving DoI the unusual is not unprecedented.

As for Chinese radios, those would be the kind that younger people could afford. They wouldn't be able to afford the top of the line Flex or Yaesu radios, or giant towers. Yet, the fact that they're not really buying them in greater quantities reflects their desire for non-voice communication with much, much greater bandwidth. The other thing is the age disparity. My kids don't necessarily want to chat with someone my age (heck, they usually don't want to talk to me...). My kids don't necessarily want to chat with anyone by voice. Contrast that to many decades ago when you couldn't get a teenager off a phone. So, times have changed. I'm waiting for the text-over-amateur-radio device that doesn't look like an improvised whatever with wires sticking out of it built into a toolbox or run at a ponderous 1.2 kbps. Make a smartphone that has off-network features for amateur radio in voice and data, with an acceptable price break that younger people will go for, and there might be an uptick. But few of us will recognize it as "our grandfather's ham radio."

Now, don't get my post as being all doom-and-gloom. There's a bigger picture here that goes beyond ham radio. We need to get kids involved in STEM programs. Ham radio offers the brownspace - both in spectrum and modes - for our future generation of engineers. After all, we do want some of our own children being engineers in the future, not just people from far away lands.

Where I see activity in amateur radio -- and the retailers can capture this if they were smart -- are the building blocks projects that integrate canned hardware to custom-written code. Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and other prototyping platforms seem to be very popular and are this generation's equivalent to building stuff out of tubes and components fished out from TVs that were put out in the trash (anybody else do that besides me?). In my view, that's where the promise is, and that's why we need to hold fast on the spectrum. If we've sold it all out, our technology becomes completely pay-to-play. THEN we're in trouble.
Good points! Back in the '60s and '70s, a huge number of "kids" were turned on by their "walkie talkies", and large number of them graduated right up to the CB band! I remember many of them chatting away with their fellow classmates, studying for tests, and even doing their homework over the air!
A significant number of those "kids" became ham operators, and that's why you find so many of today's "senior" ham operators who will tell you that they can trace their radio roots back to 11 meters..

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Yea but HRO is generally more expensive than GigaParts, The Ham Station, Main Trading Co and others. When I was comparing prices at the Dayton Hamvention HRO area several years ago I got yelled at because I asked if they would match someone else's price.
prcguy

My experience with HRO has been they WILL price match other dealers.

Sporrt

prcguy

The prices on Gigaparts site do not include shipping and handling. HRO and other sites include S&H on items over $100. FYI.. a company can charge as they see fit for 'handling'. Price matching applies to prices from other authorized dealers.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The prices on Gigaparts site do not include shipping and handling.
Yes and no. Buy a $3000 radio from them, and they will ship it for free.

Your point is well taken, though. You have to compare apples to apples.

Good points! Back in the '60s and '70s, a huge number of "kids" were turned on by their "walkie talkies", and large number of them graduated right up to the CB band! I remember many of them chatting away with their fellow classmates, studying for tests, and even doing their homework over the air!
A significant number of those "kids" became ham operators, and that's why you find so many of today's "senior" ham operators who will tell you that they can trace their radio roots back to 11 meters..
Oh, I'm one of them! My first two-way radio was a Channel 14 walkie-talkie set. Later, when I was in high school, my friend on the next block and I used to talk to each other on Channel 10 (and irritate my neighbor across the street, who was a REACT monitor). We didn't do it intentionally, it was the only crystal in his radio and he couldn't afford to get another channel. But we did indeed do homework and talk about classes and let each other know about when the fire department set off the Plectrons to let the volunteers know they were blowing the sirens because of a snow day. He never did become a ham, although he stayed big into scanners and retired a few years ago as a battalion chief in a big fire department. I'm surprised that I never at least made him take the Novice test after I turned 18 and could do that. I had a bunch of friends who I administered the Novice exam to, and most, if not all, of them made it to at least Technician. A few ultimately became Extras. This hobby (I'm lumping scanning, amateur radio, CB, and SWLing together) has a profound affect on people, and if you catch them at the right time, it's just like opening a window to the world. Or, at least it used to be before nasty people became so much of an operational security concern.

The funny thing in all this is my now 23 year-old. When we moved, she made some new friends in high school and I set her up on FRS so that she could talk to a few of them in the neighborhood. But then, texting took over. She was an Extra, anyway. She didn't enter a STEM field, but did go to work in EMS. Her brother, 20, is an electrician and a General. Their two younger siblings are Technicians. We use my repeater to talk to each other, so that worked out for us - especially before we moved, because the rural area I lived in did not have good cellular coverage. We used 440 and 6 meter simplex there (6 was fantastic with the hills).

The sad part about my kids is that my oldest, despite being an Extra and having been an officer in the local ham club, will not get on the air, except to talk to someone else in the household. She's been to Field Day events and always ended up cooking for the attendees rather than actually working a radio (I've caught her actually calling CQ, and have a picture of it, but that was a rare opportunity). My son will only use the HF radio for the two volunteer groups he belongs to, even though he used to be a pretty big DXer when he first got his General. The younger two and my wife only get on my repeater to talk to each other.

What I've told people is that the hobby is ready when they are. I hope they will get some interest at some future point. It's also one of those things where, if you get bored of one thing, there's always something you haven't tried yet. I've been a ham for 38 years now, and I still haven't done it all.

K4APR

We can mourn the loss of AES and place blame on Chinese radios, etc., but the truth is that Ham Radio is a niche hobby that is dying. Has been for quite some time. I know many will chime in with figures about new licensees, but they are in no way compensating for the older hams that are either dying off or leaving the hobby.

I am in the NY Metro area in the midst of hundreds of repeaters that are mostly quiet, all the time. I have a better chance at a QSO, and more fun actually hooking up with another station on simplex.

When you hear an active QSO on a repeater, and at the appropriate time jump in with your call to join in, you are ignored. If you are polite and wait for a QSO to end, then put out your call, knowing there are hams on the repeater, you get crickets.

I may take some heat here, but I think it needs to be said. Hams are their own worst enemies. Many pleaded for years to dump the silly code requirements to no avail. HF work requires a ton of expensive equipment and HUGE antennas most folks are not able or have no interest to install them.

Young people are not interested. When they post on social media they connect with thousands instantly. They can live stream hi def video and audio on their phone. No expensive equipment, no license, no Morse code.

In the interim, due to the cheap Chinese radios many folks are jumping on GMRS, FRS, and amateur repeaters unlicensed, with impunity.

I like the hobby, but I am a realist. The spectrum of frequencies assigned to ham is very valuable, and I believe that they will either be reduced or the entire spectrum re-assigned in the future.

You pretty much echoed all of my feelings. I feel like I got into the hobby (around 1994) when it was still it's prime. I was 12 at the time. The club members were very happy to see myself and about a dozen other kids getting involved at the time. You could tell they had hope for the future based on that. Fast forward a few years later, I was one of maybe three left.

These days, I am spending my time on APRS and DMR. DMR is exploding and has actually renewed the hobby for me. In fact, I'm in the process of selling all of my HF gear and any other analog only gear that I just have no use for. I figure I should dump it now while there is still some interest in that. It's all going to die some day. However, DMR might save it. DStar and Fusion are trying, but they are limited niche digital modes that are bound to fail. Fusion's only lifeline is Yaesu almost giving repeaters away like snake oil.

SCPD

QRT
I am going to throw another angle to this "Death of Ham Radio." Here in the US it may seem moribund, but in the developing countries it is quite alive. If you could sit on the moon and tune across all the HF signals coming from all the corners of the Earth, I think most would agree- ham's are very active indeed.
This is anecdotal, but what I think is representative of ham radio-world wide in general:
.... On multiple trips to small Pacific countries (many are composed of a lot of individual islands), I have been treated to visits of various schools and community centre's.... Almost without exception there are HF SSB radios in them, used to link these island nations, and though designated for 'official use'- these radios are invariably also used on the ham bands too, especially in the schools. Outside the US and the 1st World, licensing is a mere formality, if it is done at all, -- "Out There" its very easy for anyone interested to pick up a mic and become a "Ham" (and callsigns?.. use your imagination as to how they are picked, assigned, regulated ... and sometimes helped along that line by someone we won't mention... ;) )
Radio becomes a wonderful window on the world for these students, and I have been shown many times how proud they are with what they can do with their modest stations. Need I mention what a great way it is to practice another language?...........
I personally don't think the hobby is in any danger of being swallowed up by other concerns supposedly interest in the ham bands-- unless its above 700MHz, its really of no interest to the developed world. There is too much international interest in preserving it the way it is,--- HF especially.
.............................CF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.