BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Another way to feed GPS to BCD436HP

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up a BCD436HP. I already have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. It’s old but still works and it has a four pin rear port for NMEA in/out. So it’s simple, using the Uniden serial DB-9 cable ( already had this from my BCT15X) to a Male/Male null modem to the Garmin cable and I have GPS to the scanner. One setting has to be changed on the Garmin. Settings/Interface/Serial Data format to NMEA in/ NMEA out. Baud 4800 should already be there by default. Garmin cable part # 010-10141-00. Like the title says, just another way to do things. Hope it helps.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up a BCD436HP. I already have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. It’s old but still works and it has a four pin rear port for NMEA in/out. So it’s simple, using the Uniden serial DB-9 cable ( already had this from my BCT15X) to a Male/Male null modem to the Garmin cable and I have GPS to the scanner. One setting has to be changed on the Garmin. Settings/Interface/Serial Data format to NMEA in/ NMEA out. Baud 4800 should already be there by default. Garmin cable part # 010-10141-00. Like the title says, just another way to do things. Hope it helps.
Which connection are you using on the Garmin the round conector or the mini usb?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Which connection are you using on the Garmin the round conector or the mini usb?
The round 4 pin goes to the Garmin. I think if you have the same GPS the mini usb will also output NMEA if it's set to like I said on settings page.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
The round 4 pin goes to the Garmin. I think if you have the same GPS the mini usb will also output NMEA if it's set to like I said on settings page.
Yes, I do have the CSX. I am using SDS100 and BCD325P2 both only use Mini USB for GPS. I am thinking that a mini USB to mini USB cable would work. Just theorizing.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The null modem adapter basically swaps the data in and out pins. Without it the cable would have the data in pins meeting each other, same for the data out. The null modem adapter swaps that so that the data in of one side is connected to the data out of the other.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
The null modem adapter basically swaps the data in and out pins. Without it the cable would have the data in pins meeting each other, same for the data out. The null modem adapter swaps that so that the data in of one side is connected to the data out of the other.
Sounds like a network cable for two computers to pass data to one and the other. twisted network cable.
just thinking out loud. I miss you on scanner guys.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Sounds like a network cable for two computers to pass data to one and the other. twisted network cable.
just thinking out loud. I miss you on scanner guys.
Same concept, yes! With network cables they call those "Crossover" although these days most devices sense it automatically so crossover cables are not as common.