Antenna/Frequency Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
Can someone provide me the calculation to use to find out the proper antenna length by frequency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n5ims

West Mountain Radio - Antenna Calculator

For the typical vertical antenna used on VHF/UHF bands, use the "E" length, that's a quarter wave. For a full dipole, use the "L" length, cut in half with the coax attached there (shield to one side, center conductor to the other side).

Note that although the calculated lengths will be accurately calculated and use the correct formulas, they won't necessarily be the exact length you'll need in YOUR situation. They are based on the antenna being a sufficient distance away from anything that could alter the values. It's generally best to cut your antenna a bit long and shorten it until it's actually resonant as installed in the area it will be used in. Also note that for a vertical antenna (that "E" length measurement) it assumes that a proper counterpoise (sometimes called a ground plane) is there acting as the "other half" of the antenna. That counterpoise generally "is what it is" and the tuning of the antenna for lowest SWR or closest resonance is how you can compensate for what you have available.

Last edited:

N0IU

You already have several answers that will (should?) answer your question, but I just wanted to say howdy to another "traveling man".

Status
Not open for further replies.