Antenna help

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Yes this antenna works several times better than the stock collapsible whip that is shipped with the sds200. A outside antenna would be best to get it above the metal roof. You could put this outside but it is not weather rated and it will degrade rather fast. I am actually looking at getting their double cone antenna 11-558 to put up when I am able to do some outside work.
I had a Nevada brand “double discone”. Save your $$, nothing worthwhile going on there. I ended up using some of its parts to make another antenna. And as mentioned, it has no relation to an actual Discone, just a big fat dipole.

etuck

Premium Subscriber
So is there a setup you could refer me to purchase and get out from under these metal roofs?

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Skip the PVC, it'll flex like mad (depending on the height) and get brittle in the elements eventually. I'm running the SDS200 with LMR-400, Omni X on galvanized fence posts from home desperate. I have it so It can go from 10' up to a tad over 20'. It's grounded with lightning protection as mentioned by @mmckenna.
Antenna 2.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Expensive. The top couple of sections are going to be really thin and may be difficult to mount a decent sized antenna to. At full height, it's going to flex around quite a bit. These things are good for holding up a really lightweight wire antenna, like a dipole. Not a good choice for a scanner antenna.

The 20' top fence rail is your best shot.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Skip the PVC, it'll flex like mad (depending on the height) and get brittle in the elements eventually. I'm running the SDS200 with LMR-400, Omni X on galvanized fence posts from home desperate. I have it so It can go from 10' up to a tad over 20'. It's grounded with lightning protection as mentioned by @mmckenna.
View attachment 165188
A short length of 1 1/4” PVC pipe or PVC conduit about 5ft long painted grey with TV antenna on top and scanner antenna inside, attached to a vent pipe or guyed will not flex and will last many years. Remember, this is supposed to be a stealth setup and a fake TV antenna installed in a typical way can go unnoticed where an Omni- X 20ft up will not.

etuck

Premium Subscriber
A short length of 1 1/4” PVC pipe or PVC conduit about 5ft long painted grey with TV antenna on top and scanner antenna inside, attached to a vent pipe or guyed will not flex and will last many years. Remember, this is supposed to be a stealth setup and a fake TV antenna installed in a typical way can go unnoticed where an Omni- X 20ft up will not.
Sorry but this went over my head with tv and stealth setup. Are we still talking using an OmniX antenna, or some other.?

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I get that, and my neighbors who don't know me think it's TV. I'm talking 20' up direct from the ground with the PVC.

etuck

Premium Subscriber
My weaker communication seems to be from 140MHz to 160MHz. I'm thinking of trying this setup.
Thoughts please?? OmniX antenna, using Davis RF 9914F "Bury-Flex" cable approx. 50-75 ft. with a male N connector on antenna pigtail connection and an Male BNC connector for the SDS200, being it has a BNC female antenna input. Metal 1-3/8" x 15ft (fence railing tubing) mast to be approx. 6 ft above highest part of my metal roof. Still unsure about lightning arrestor and good grounding. Coax grounding only?