Antenna issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

So here is my dilemma, Durham Fire and TPS are on 800 while Fleetnet is VHF.

I have one mobile scanner at the moment and dont plan on purchasing another handheld until prices drop a tad more, so its just my BC250D for now (which conviently has crappy P25 audio). But anyways, i am going to get a mobile antenna. Its going to have to be a Trunk Lip setup because no holes are going on the new 2006 Grand Prix, and also no magnets are touching the paint. My dilemma is should i go with two band-specific antennas or one tri-band. Durham Radio has the Maxrad BMAXSCAN1000 which does everything i need, HOWEVER, obviously being tri-band it loses a lot of gain on all bands. So i am thinking i will buy two mounts and and two antennas, one dual-band for 146/400 and one for 800-860 (or whatever the ranges are) and then T-Split them together. I am thinking i will lose less signal with the two antenna/T-splitter option then getting the Jack of all trades Maxrad BMAXSCAN1000. Lemme know what you guys are doing to solve this prob, thanks

DaveH

First, what's all the "bump" about...something about nobody jumping to
answer your question in the required time....?

Anyway, despite any claims, I'm dubious of any antenna that claims to
cover VHF through 800MHz is actually going to do a decent job on all
bands; one at whatever end is going to be compromised, maybe at
both ends if you're not lucky.

An antenna designed for VHF might work OK at UHF (notice I didn't say
"great"), but doubtful the it would be much good at 800Mhz. If it's not too
much trouble I'd consider a dual-band VHF/UHF plus a dedicated 800MHz
antenna. If you're short on cash, consider visiting a ham fleatmarket or
two, they are in-season now. I've picked up a number of commercial-grade
800MHz antennas up to 5dB gain for no more than $10; typically $5, less
mount.

The dual-band (VHF high/UHF) centre-loaded antenna made by Radiall-
Larsen (check my spelling) which is about 18" high, looks like a good one
for the lower two bands. There are no doubt others like it from other sources.

Dave

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I've used a rubber ducky on my BC246T at over 100 km's from Ottawa on the table without a preamp using an ICOM dual band 144/440 portable antenna and it brought in Ottawa's EDAC system like it was almost in the back yard. So really, anything is possible.

MetalCarnage

DaveH said:
First, what's all the "bump" about...something about nobody jumping to
answer your question in the required time....?

Anyway, despite any claims, I'm dubious of any antenna that claims to
cover VHF through 800MHz is actually going to do a decent job on all
bands; one at whatever end is going to be compromised, maybe at
both ends if you're not lucky.

An antenna designed for VHF might work OK at UHF (notice I didn't say
"great"), but doubtful the it would be much good at 800Mhz. If it's not too
much trouble I'd consider a dual-band VHF/UHF plus a dedicated 800MHz
antenna. If you're short on cash, consider visiting a ham fleatmarket or
two, they are in-season now. I've picked up a number of commercial-grade
800MHz antennas up to 5dB gain for no more than $10; typically $5, less
mount.

The dual-band (VHF high/UHF) centre-loaded antenna made by Radiall-
Larsen (check my spelling) which is about 18" high, looks like a good one
for the lower two bands. There are no doubt others like it from other sources.

Dave

Where can i find info on this Ham FleaMarket, never heard of one before so i wouldnt have a clue where to start looking

ke5lvt

you have the right idea using 2 antennas. based on the bands u listen to i would suggest a glass mount vhf and a 800mhz glass mount. trunk lip mounts some times can do more damage than a mag mount. but if that were my car i would put 2 roof mounts with a uhf and a 800 phantom antennas.

MetalCarnage

MINDSHOCKER said:
you have the right idea using 2 antennas. based on the bands u listen to i would suggest a glass mount vhf and a 800mhz glass mount. trunk lip mounts some times can do more damage than a mag mount. but if that were my car i would put 2 roof mounts with a uhf and a 800 phantom antennas.

Ya, as said, i wont be swiss cheesing the car, roof mounts are not an option whatsoever, spent too much on the car to put any type of hole in it anywhere....i have never heard of anyone having damage done with a trunk lip mount and i definitly would never use glass mount as the general consensus is they blow, have had friends who tried the 800mhz glass mount and it has crappier reception then my Watson Tele-Gainer Telescopic Antenna.....

Thanks rhutch for that link....i was kinda wanting to get antenna's this weekend, a month is such a LONNNNGGG time to wait, lol, i am impatient, so i dont know if i can hold off that long, guess we'll see.....until then i think i am going to go the two antenna route, run dedicated VHF (going to scrap the UHF idea, not really anything on that band around here anyways) and going to get a dedicated 800....hopefully that will do the trick

hemi

I blew $50 on a magnetic mobile, that i also use as my home base antenna that claims compleat coverage from 25mgh-cell. NOPE it was not all it was cracked up to be. I have drop offs all the time half way through a call.

jellotor

MetalCarnage, your best bet is to purchase band-specific antennas once you've determined what you listen to the most. A VHF/UHF dual band antenna plus a 800 MHz antenna through a combiner or an antenna switch may be what you're looking for. But it probably isn't going to be cheap, especially if you buy new. eBay may be your friend.

imcleish

Metal,

What kind of reception are you looking for, I have an Antennex ABSCAN on a dodge dakota, hood/fender mounted.

It provides better reception on my 246 than my Diamond RH77CA ducky, but I can recieve the Toronto Public Safety, South tower, clearly in north whitby on this ducky and the antennex.

I can also pick up the Durham trunk system from the 401 and the DVP with the Antennex antenna.

I do not have digital capabilities, but have no problems with fleetnet analog reception either. I can get the toronto tower in whitby, and the whitby tower in toronto.

What kind of gains are you looking for??

Ian

MetalCarnage

imcleish said:
Metal,

What kind of reception are you looking for, I have an Antennex ABSCAN on a dodge dakota, hood/fender mounted.

It provides better reception on my 246 than my Diamond RH77CA ducky, but I can recieve the Toronto Public Safety, South tower, clearly in north whitby on this ducky and the antennex.

I can also pick up the Durham trunk system from the 401 and the DVP with the Antennex antenna.

I do not have digital capabilities, but have no problems with fleetnet analog reception either. I can get the toronto tower in whitby, and the whitby tower in toronto.

What kind of gains are you looking for??

Ian

Currently i am looking for better then what i have now, i am in Ajax and can get TPS strength 4/7 to 6/7 with my Watson Tele-Gainer depending on the day, Durham Trunk i basically lose mid-Scarborough on the 401 when heading west, but obviosuly get 7/7 in ajax, Fleetnet is the killer though, get 4/7 in Ajax and can barely make it through Scarberia before losing it. I get all signals with either of my scanners WAY better up on the top floor of the house, but the second i go mobile with the BC250D i lose signal hardcore, half due to design of the car i think, but either way, definitly think that i am going to get way better reception if i get a VHF and 800mhz antenna instead of using the telescopic ducky

I am going to visit Durham Radio this Friday and see what they have...

bluesman905

This question always seems to get the obvious replies of "band specific is better" (stands to reason correct) If your interested, I use the Maxrad you mentioned and it's working well metal. I was very impressed with it. May not be the same as running two but if you want to keep it clean this one works well. I picked up another one for a buddy at work and he seemed to be happy with it also. Hope it all works out for ya man....

Last edited:

MetalCarnage

bluesman905 said:
I use the Maxrad at the moment and it's working well metal. Driving in Pickering I can pick up the King City tower and all four Metro locations.

Sorry, still dont know my antennas that well yet, Maxrad...ducky or mobile antenna.....and if its a mobile antenna, is it NMO mount and where can i pick one up?

Thanks

bluesman905

NMO mount. I've seen them mounted with the trunk lip mounts but now that you mention it, maybe it wouldn't perform as well without the larger groundplane (mine is drilled and on the roof of a truck) Durham Radio has them priced around $50. http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product.php?productid=45908&cat=1836&page=1
MetalCarnage said:
Sorry, still dont know my antennas that well yet, Maxrad...ducky or mobile antenna.....and if its a mobile antenna, is it NMO mount and where can i pick one up?

Thanks

Last edited:

MetalCarnage

bluesman905 said:
NMO mount. I've seen them mounted with the trunk lip mounts but now that you mention it, maybe it wouldn't perform as well without the larger groundplane (mine is drilled and on the roof of a truck) Durham Radio has them priced around $50. http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product.php?productid=45908&cat=1836&page=1

Sorry, the maxrad threw me off, ya, i know that antenna, thats what i was looking at originally before i decided i would go for two antennas instead, one concentrating on VHF, one on 800Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.