Antenna Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for the more seasoned listeners out there.

I have what i think (99.99% sure) is a TV antenna on my roof. Is it usable as a scanner antenna?
SEE ATTACHED PICTURES

If not I can reuse the tripod to mount a new scanner friendly antenna but what do I replace it with? I have read on this board about several different antennas. I am leaning towards this one:http://www.antennawarehouse.com/Scanner/Scantenna.htm

Attachments

• ant1.JPG
    ant1.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 284
  • ant2.JPG
    ant2.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 363
  • ant3.JPG
    ant3.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 376

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That is a TV antenna.

There's nothing to stop you from trying it out with your scanner, but it will be less than ideal. TV antennas are directional, very widebanded, and as coax ages, it degrades in performance.

If you have the money, it's always good to install a new antenna and good quality coax. I have never used the one you linked to, but many have. I'll let them chime in.

If you only plan on listening to one or two bands, you might concider a mono or dual-band antenna.

MacombMonitor

Looks like it's nice an high! Try it, won't hurt. Heck, even a coat hanger will work.

Chris0381

Dont let not using the TV antennae discourage you, you have in place a great base and place to put up one of those $25 RS antennas or a Scantenna with high quality Scanner Coax. Go do it and youre in bigtime. I whish I had that luxury.

Grog

Banned
I hope I didn't sound too negative, as I'd try it before I spent one cent. Just in case it does not work as wel as you'd like, you have a great start to mounting an antenna.

Nothing negative was implied. I obviously will need to replace the coax because not only is it rusted out the previous homeoner removed 80% of it. I will try it out before spending too much $$$

I'll bet you are going to need new coax for it. See if you can rotate it 90 degrees and mount it so that the elements are vertical, rather than horizontal. That will make a huge difference if you are wanting to monitor public service VHF/UHF bands.

Other than that, it should work quite well.

Chris0381

It will definitly work as so will putting a paperclip in your scanner BNC connector but boy do you have the potential to have an awsome system set up fo under $75. Dont forget that TV coax may have less of a performance as RG-6 or RG-58

Al42

I'd take a close look at the tripod too - it looks more than a touch rusty. Considering the cost of a new one, I'd replace it if the cost didn't eliminate that possibility.

But replace or not, I'd put some roofing cement or tar over the bolts that hold it to the roof, to make sure no leaks developed. (Wet wood rots pretty quickly.)

N4UYV_Al

put a rotor on that baby & get alittle direction out of it...BTW, what's the antenna that you have that is not in the pictures?? I see a 'shadow' antenna there...looks like either a vertical mounted on a side arm off a tower? or possibly a 3 element vertical 11 meter beam missing a bottom element...hmmm

Last edited:

RISC777

Chitownfyrfiter said:
I obviously will need to replace the coax because not only is it rusted out the previous homeoner removed 80% of it.

The second thing I noticed was the rusted "barrel" (female/female" F connector in the one pic. For a barrel to rust like that it's either been out there a looooong time, or you live somewhere near sal water. :)

But, yes, you've a good base/mast if the TV antenna doesn't work for you. (I would put some sealant around the bolts at the base of the legs of the tripod where they penetrate the shingles, but that's just me...lol) edit - Al42 beat me to that observation.

Chris0381

Screw it. Go get yourself a new tripod and take down that old TV antennae if your not using it. The existing coax already has a rusted splice and probably incorporates a loss of a few db. Dont forget when you install your new awesome system that is what looks like to me above a lot of other roofs, you'll get usability out of it for years and I mean years to come. To me it would be worth investing $200+.

Do you have a digital scanner or is ther any plans for your area to go digital?

kb2vxa

Banned
Yeah, the antenna is old and has at least one element broken off. The coax is badly weathered and UV damaged. The tripod has seen many antennas in it's lifetime which rust has put to an end. The antenna is horizontal and I don't see a rotor.

Hack off the legs and don't disturb the mounts unless you want a leaky roof, best slap some roofing tar over them just in case. Put up a new tripod and a proper antenna and coax, you'll be a lot better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.