antenna lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA8ZTZ

Antenna support lines that is, a rather mundane topic but FWIW...

Took advantage of the nice WX today to do some springtime maintenance on my half-dozen or so outdoor wire antennas. They were installed at various times in the past with whatever was on hand at the time. The stuff that was in the worst shape was the offshore made loosely woven nylon line. It had pretty much decomposed in the UV. OTOH, the made in USA tightly woven white nylon line was in great shape. It seems to last forever. Surprisingly, the poly stuff from the dollar store that holds up the 10 meter dipole looked almost brand new. It has been up there since the last time 10 meters was good (quite a while). However, it is difficult to tie a good knot in the poly line.

Anyway, replaced the deteriorated nylon line with some black Dacron double braided line. Looks like nice material. We'll see how well it holds up.

prcguy

The black Dacron should last a very long time. I've had some up for probably 10yrs in different locations and except for some dirt they look fine.

Antenna support lines that is, a rather mundane topic but FWIW...

Took advantage of the nice WX today to do some springtime maintenance on my half-dozen or so outdoor wire antennas. They were installed at various times in the past with whatever was on hand at the time. The stuff that was in the worst shape was the offshore made loosely woven nylon line. It had pretty much decomposed in the UV. OTOH, the made in USA tightly woven white nylon line was in great shape. It seems to last forever. Surprisingly, the poly stuff from the dollar store that holds up the 10 meter dipole looked almost brand new. It has been up there since the last time 10 meters was good (quite a while). However, it is difficult to tie a good knot in the poly line.

Anyway, replaced the deteriorated nylon line with some black Dacron double braided line. Looks like nice material. We'll see how well it holds up.

WB9YBM

The stuff that was in the worst shape was the offshore made loosely woven nylon line. It had pretty much decomposed in the UV.

One trick I've had luck with is going to a sporting goods store--the line they sell for camping and/or climbing application's definitely built better than the nylon rope used in many antenna applications.

merlin

One trick I've had luck with is going to a sporting goods store--the line they sell for camping and/or climbing application's definitely built better than the nylon rope used in many antenna applications.
Yea, I have several hundred feet of 4 MM parachord, 400 pound tinsile, it will last years but in the long run will succumb to UV if not treated. End insulator on 200' longwire, through a pulley, then tied to an old car door for counterweight. 7 years and like new.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
No ice or snow, but plenty of daily sun here. I purchased a 500' roll of 3/16" black Dacron and it's working very well for years now for an off center fed and various wire antennas and whatever projects non antenna related. I prefer it due to low stretch and resistance to rot and UV. I find it superior to paracord and whatnot sold at sporting good stores.

W0JOG

I've used the white poly stuff from Wal-mart and the Wireman's black poly both to extended effectiveness. My wire antennas at my last home were up for more than 20 years without any maintenance other than ice storm re-hanging once. I use intentionally light ends on Inverted Vs to keep from having to haul the centers down. Break the end pieces, they're easiest to return to sky. And my 'antenna knot' is one taught me by my mentor back in the 1960s that has never failed me yet. Not being a Scout, I can't tell you what it is other than loop the line near end and feed the cord back through the loop. Result is a knot that tightens against strain yet is easy to release when tension is off it.

73 de W0JOG

WB9YBM

Yea, I have several hundred feet of 4 MM parachord, 400 pound tinsile, it will last years but in the long run will succumb to UV if not treated.

Well, when you say "in the long run", does that mean it lasts a bit longer than other types? If so, by it lasting longer at least you'll save a small mount of money by not having to replace it as often.

WA8ZTZ

I...and my 'antenna knot' is one taught me by my mentor back in the 1960s that has never failed me yet. Not being a Scout, I can't tell you what it is other than loop the line near end and feed the cord back through the loop. Result is a knot that tightens against strain yet is easy to release when tension is off it.

bowline perhaps ?

WA8ZTZ

Yea, I have several hundred feet of 4 MM parachord, 400 pound tinsile, it will last years but in the long run will succumb to UV if not treated. End insulator on 200' longwire, through a pulley, then tied to an old car door for counterweight. 7 years and like new.

paracord is stretchy, a counterweight is a good solution

Status
Not open for further replies.