Antenna Location Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
Listening to 145.330 right now and it is more clear than it was for sure. Channel is really active in the afternoons and yesterday it had a whine to it. Today nice and clear. Really need a new scanner. Right now I have it connected to an old Pro-57. Loud and clear... as it can be.

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
This is my line of sight to the west. My balcony is above the rooftops at the end of the street. Intertwined in the balcony was terrible. 4' above the roof big difference. To the east... forget about it though.

Attachments

• 20130822_164636_resized.jpg
    20130822_164636_resized.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 129

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is my line of sight to the west. My balcony is above the rooftops at the end of the street. Intertwined in the balcony was terrible. 4' above the roof big difference. To the east... forget about it though.

With antennas, height is just about everything. Getting it up above the surrounding structure can make a huge difference, as you experienced.

If it's working well, then changing out the coax will not likely make a big difference. In other words, if you can hear it now, changing the coax will not likely make a noticeable difference, unless you have something that's right on the edge of being useable.

Likely, changing out the scanner to a newer one will improve things more noticeably.

Feels kind of good to do it yourself, doesn't it?

mike_gain

If you are looking for television reception I would go with a real tv antenna and use the discone for public service/ham use.

Status
Not open for further replies.