• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Mounting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve108

Yes I have an external meter for checking the swr. I have another radio with a built in swr meter that I have been thinking about hooking up just to see what it says. I am also building a dummy load so I can measure power output to confirm the radio's power meter.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Steve, have you like into actual hood channel mount brackets?

When I was younger my parents had a class C on a 96 E10 chassis. My dad used one of those no ground plane glass mount antennas on the passenger side slider in the over head bunk. It was worthless. Fast forward to last year, my dad sees how I mounted my low band antenna on my trailblazer and my CV antenna on my xj...hood channel mounts.

I have NMO versions (low stress, the mount is literally .16 ga sheet metal) but companies like Firestik do make versions for the 3/8x24 stud mount.

Oldme

Steve, I think trying your other radio many also be a good
idea. With the problems you seem to be having with the power
on some channels, checking the antenna system with another
radio would be good idea.

steve108

I will give the other radio a try. Come to think of it I also have a magnet mount antenna I could try on the roof and see what the radio in question does. I called the manufacturer (Midland) and the tech said he had not heard of that problem but he thought it could be that the detector is less sensitive to the lower frequencies and not to worry about it. He said if the radio stops working send it in and they will look at it.

I have seen hood channel mounts, what would the advantage be? Is it that I could locate the antenna further from the windshield frame?

Oldme

OK I was understanding something different.
I thought the radio was NOT putting out the same power/watts
on the lower channels.

A "detector" is an older term for an electronic component in a radio receiver
that recovers information contained in a modulated radio wave.
From what you are indicating with your radio, that could mean that it is not as
sensitive on the lower channels or maybe you have less interference in
you area on the lower channels. Every channel is different.

The hood channel mount / fender mount is what I use on the
E450 based Motor Home.

steve108

Ok, I have had some time to try a few more things.

I built a 50 ohm dummy load that can also be used to measure power. I measured 3.3 to 3.5 watts dead key depending on the channel, swinging to 8 watts or so with audio. So that seems reasonable.

SWR of 1.0 in to the dummy so I guess my meter is accurate, at least at a perfect match.

I tried playing with ground straps on the antenna mount and coax end but did not see any changes. I did notice that even with the electrical ground for the radio disconnected it all still works. Must be getting ground through the chassis or coax.

I also added a spring between my stud mount and the antenna. With this I measure a 1.8 SWR on 19 and 2.4 on the ends of the band.

With my other radio, powered through the lighter socket, I see a 1.4 SWR according to both the internal meter and my external meter. Also tested the internal meter with my dummy and read 1.00. Power is lower out of this radio, about 2.5W deadkey. Any thoughts on why this radio produces a lower SWR? Power output shouldn't effect SWR, correct? Should the radio chassis not be grounded?

Made a few contacts around town up to about 2 or 2.5 miles, which may be good enough.

Oldme

Different radio built with components that all have a
manufacturers tolerance.
No two components are exactly the same, even the same brand
as nothing is perfect.

There could also be a problem in the first radio that keeps it
making that same match. Perhaps one of the techs that
works on them will chime in as what component may be suspect.

When you add the spring you are physically clanging the length of the
antenna and you do need to re adjust it.

Glad you are getting there.

steve108

Yeah, I adjusted it for the spring. The spring is about 3" long, but I only had to move the tip of the antenna down 1/8" or so, I guess because the spring is a coil?

Oldme

Inside the spring is a conductive wire/braid.
So the 3" of spring, lengthened the antenna 3".
The same would happen if you added a 3" section
of the same antenna to the base.

steve108

Interesting. How come I can get a symmetrical dip in SWR at the middle of the band both with and without the 3" spring even though I do not have to move the adjustable tip of the antenna even close to 3"?

steve108

If you go back and look at the very first picture... the thin black brace I have going from my angle iron down to the factory antenna bracket... could that be introducing some kind of ground loop and causing a problem?

I am still trying to narrow this down with no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.