Antenna Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb872033

I have a hustler DCL antenna, and want to roof mount it...I was wondering if I would be doing damage to the antenna or hurting my RX strength if I were to mount it upside down. I have a satelite dish mount on my roof without the dish and would like to mount it off of that...is that a good idea? Also any input on this antenna? Looking to upgrade as well something comprable to this? Has anyone out there used it? I like it a lot def. increased the amount of things I can listen to than a mag mount that I was using temporarily. Thanks for any input...I attached a picture if you arent familliar with what this antenna looks like but I have a feeling that people out there will know...thanks again

JB

Attachments

• DCX.jpg
    DCX.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 315

KevinGC

If you mount it upside down, all the voice will come in backwards, and if you have a display scanner all the words will be upside down.

Sorry, couldn't resist. In a wierd frame of mind today.

jb872033

Ohh see i thought i just had suddenly developed dyslexia and an auditory processing problem...LOL, well just not sure, didnt wanna kill my 'tenna...

JB

trooperdude

Database Admin
Wrap the connector extra well, as mounting it exposed will allow water to
penetrate more easily and degrade the connector.

So is this thing reversed to begin with ?

The radials look to be horizontally polarized and the groundplane radials are vertical ?

Not a great match for land mobile where the signals are vertically polarized.

jb872033

yep..thats how i bought it...it works well though...its multiband, i dont know much about antennas, but might that be why some of the elements are horizontal?

JB

digitalanalog

I would not mount this any other way then it is illustrated in the image you posted.
But as allway's, i am also one to try thinking outside the box(which most are not willing to do).

So mount it as shown and take notes, Then mount it upside down
and see what the comparison's are, because i can promise there
will be a difference in reception.

Do it, and let us know your results/findings

Good Luck

N1BHH

That can be mounted 180 degrees from what it normally is mounted, there shouldn't be much of a problem. I have mounted antennas that way in the past. Many repeaters have two antennas mounted on outriggers on towers with one pointed up and the other pointed down.

jb872033

ok...thanks for the input all!!...i will hang it this weekend...will let you know the results...much appreciated!!

JB

CityLights

Premium Subscriber
Don't do it man!
The ground plane is at the bottom for a reason! Upside down will add distortion to the signal. You will shorten the distance you can receive from as well. Do you want a clean sky signal or distorted earth bounce signal? Just extend your satellite dish mount, ..or look into a vent pipe mount, ..or find a better roof mount. If you have your heart set on using the Dish mount then extend it a little and maybe add some guy wires!

This reminded me of a TV commercial I saw the other day for a upside down hanging Tomato plant. Very misleading! They show a lovely tomato plant hanging upside down that appears to be easily growing towards the earth producing plump Tomatoes. Pausing the commercial and examining the Plant I can tell by the leaves and branches that the plant was grown in the traditional up-right position and then hung upside down for the commercial. Stalked plants when grown upside down become distorted in shape as they try to correct for orientation and grow Skywards. It's possible to do, it will grow somewhat, but the energy loss to correct its self will take away from the total yield.

Alway keep your ground plane antennas and any stalked plant like Corn, Tomatoes or Pot, pointing up!

Last edited:

ind224

Try it

Please mount the thing upside down and report back.

As a longtime lover of phototropism, plants only have to waste energy when they are malnourished, or fighting disease and pests. By malnourished I mean light, water and nutrient quality and quantity. Oxygen poor roots don't help. Talking to them does help.

Status
Not open for further replies.