Antenna Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhockey86

Hi, I am looking for the best antenna possible *under $200* for the range of 150 to 160. ALso, what type of cable is the best to use?

RISC777

Omni-directional?
Directional?
Distance from source(s)?
Either way there are antennas in your budget range that would work pretty well, but also count into the cost cable and the time and way you'll route the cable, etc.

muhockey86

as far as directional...whatever works best...distance from source..about 8 miles..but the county is on a 7 site simulcast system...have tried emailing them on the locations of them...no response and no one around here seems to know

RISC777

Is the county you're interested in listed in the RR database?
What system is it?

RISC777

Looks like all the public safety stuff is primarily VHF with a little UHF.

An omni-directional, such as a discone from Diamond, Nevada, or Radio Shack are some that come to mind. You'll around 5 feet for height in the attic. Most will have an N connector on them, unless you go with an Antennacraft which is an F connector, but they ship it with 50 feet of RG-6. In fact the Scantenna ST2 by Antennacraft may be the best bang for the buck since the cable's included. (Then get an adapter from F female to BNC male to connect to the scanner, assuming the scanner's connection is BNC [female].)

The Scantenna ST2 is approx. 1/8 to 1/4 of your budget (with cable included). Might be a good start. And you'll have 75% left over. How you mount it or any other in the attic is up to you, but a trip to the local hardware store and a few bucks if you don't have stuff "laying around" the house or garage to use should to it. Route the cable, see how it does.

And you're definitely not going to mount it outside? You can get more height that way . . .

muhockey86

ya not outside...my mom (yes i still live at home) is not excited about an antenna being seen by the neighboors..i currently have the rs vhf outdoor antenna...i have it sitting out the window on the 2nd story...it works alright but im looking for more, i would love to be able to hear the talk around channels for jeffco and arnold as clear as possible

RISC777

If you've the RS omni, the higher you can get it the better, like the attic. If that doesn't work for you the way you want it to... And there's still the cable routing aspect to consider.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,
One thing to remember is that the st-2 or scantenna if you prefer, would be around 8 feet high!. So if you don't have the height in the attic the discone would be your best bet.
Take care

andy404ns

muhockey86 said:
ya not outside...my mom (yes i still live at home) is not excited about an antenna being seen by the neighboors..i currently have the rs vhf outdoor antenna...i have it sitting out the window on the 2nd story...it works alright but im looking for more, i would love to be able to hear the talk around channels for jeffco and arnold as clear as possible

Haha I had the same problem!! Instead of trying to convince my mom of the clear positive aspects to her life from an outdoor mounted antenna, I did the attic mount. I use the RS 20-176. My bedroom is right below the antenna so I use a 25ft run of RG-6 with connectors on both ends. In this application, I have noticed the most improvement on VHF-High which is exactly what you need it for! I am picking stuff up that I was never able to before and it's all very clear. I did not get the Scantenna/ST-2/whatever other names there are for it because it was too tall for my attic. The 20-176 was a good compromise. So far I am extremely pleased with it. Good luck with whatever you do. Andy

LordJ

Have to agree with the 20-176, my experiences have been great with this mounted outside and I am primarily listening to the 150-160 band as well..you shouldn't be disappointed and it is only about 20" high...

Status
Not open for further replies.