Antenna problem

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
Don't move the squelch knob. Move the radio AWAY from the noise sources.
Ok, I think that the antenna is possibly broken because I’ve had this scanner for a long time and it never did this before. Another thing that it also does is it will somehow get a perfect signal when my hand is touching the antenna but when I move away it gets worse.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok, I think that the antenna is possibly broken because I’ve had this scanner for a long time and it never did this before.

Did what before? The noise? That's likely new or older/failing electronics in your home that are generating a lot of RF noise. Getting the antenna away from those noise sources may help. This is exactly one of the reasons that people really like outdoor antennas.

Another thing that it also does is it will somehow get a perfect signal when my hand is touching the antenna but when I move away it gets worse.

Putting your hand on, or very close to the antenna will impact its tuning. Capacitive coupling.

SA_tx_88116

Did what before? The noise? That's likely new or older/failing electronics in your home that are generating a lot of RF noise. Getting the antenna away from those noise sources may help. This is exactly one of the reasons that people really like outdoor antennas.

Putting your hand on, or very close to the antenna will impact its tuning. Capacitive coupling.
Before I always had good reception and I never had to do any fidgeting with the antenna

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Before I always had good reception and I never had to do any fidgeting with the antenna

Got it.

So, something changed.

Could be your antenna is damaged.

Could be that there is a lot of new local noise.

Could be both.

Take the radio outside, well away from any other homes, businesses, preferably out in a field, see if the noise issues go away.

Also, look at replacing your antenna or installing an outdoor antenna. It is entirely possible that you have multiple issues, and you need to look at everything.

Last edited:

SA_tx_88116

Got it.

So, something changed.

Could be both.

Take the radio outside, well away from any other homes, businesses, preferably out in a field, see if the noise issues go away.

Also, look at replacing your antenna or installing an outdoor antenna. It is entirely possible that you have multiple issues, and you need to look at everything.
It’s probably the antenna because since I had the scanner only 2 new devices have been added to my home which is my PlayStation and my laptop. And I have these issues regardless of where the scanner is located.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
So how should I adjust the antenna’s height for 770 to 774 MHz
Well 468 / 772 (center of your range) = 7.26 inches for a half-wave antenna. I like the half-wave as they don't require a ground plane like a quarter-wave does... for transmitting anyway.

techsender

A half wave in length would present a high impedance at the base of the antenna. Most all scanners prefer a lower impedance (say 50 to 75 ohms) - so a quarter wave would be the preferred length to plug right into the scanner.

SA_tx_88116

Got it.

So, something changed.

Could be both.

After further evaluation I think that the towers that my system uses is just bad, it has a good range but it’s probably low power because not even my uncle can get a good signal with his uniden BCD436HP even after he tried multiple antennas.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
The system you are attempting to receive is listed as a Phase 2 system in the Radio Reference database. Your radio is not capable of receiving Phase 2 transmissions.

Don't know about your uncle's radio, it may have some programing issues as the Uniden 436 is capable of receiving Phase 2 transmissions.

SA_tx_88116

The system you are attempting to receive is listed as a Phase 2 system in the Radio Reference database. Your radio is not capable of receiving Phase 2 transmissions.

Don't know about your uncle's radio, it may have some programing issues as the Uniden 436 is capable of receiving Phase 2 transmissions.
No, the talkgroups I monitor are labeled with a D and I am well aware that they could switch at any moment.