Antenna Recommendations

Bird_Person

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone.

I have an SDS100 with a Remtronix Triband antenna. It works well, especially outside, but it suffers when it comes to distance when I am not outdoors. The Remtronix definitely outperforms the stock antenna outside as well as inside.

My problem is that I live in a basement apartment and the landlord does not allow anything external. I have investigated various window mounting options (such as AEcreative's window mount antenna which seems sketchy to me so I am avoiding that) and longer whips or extendable antenna options, but I am uncertain at this point with this particular problem. When I go outside, I can receive surrounding towns and counties no issues (I live in Wakefield, MA) such as Woburn, Stoneham, Billerica and even Cambridge... but once indoors, reception on the mobile antenna is reduced greatly to the point where a lot of transmissions from Woburn or Stoneham for example, become little more than static if received at all.

I pretty much listen to local EMS/Police/Fire/Med Flight and State Police (800 MHz and their lower end frequencies) but the indoor reception in the basement is pretty bad at best.

Anyone with a similar living situation have any recommendations as to how you overcame these problems with reception?

If I failed to add any relevant details, please let me know. I am more than happy to correct my oversight.

Listening to: local PD FD State PD MedFlight EMS
Problem: Basement apartment eating signals

Thanks for your time. I did search the forum, but couldn't find anything. Yes, I admit that I may be terrible at searching.